When do you first fall in love with Guinea Pigs?

Lorcan

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
This thread's got me thinking - you know, I've never met a female guinea pig? I've only ever had boars and the one that insisted on using me as a poop station was also a boar. He was great though. Never did a pee or anything, it was always just near constant poop, plus he was definitely an aby with a golden agouti coat and he never. stopped. chatting.

Seriously. Not wheeking or anything, but those little chutting noises they make when they're exploring? "Ooh what's here?" "Ooh is there something here?" He was non stop. He couldn't have been very old either, maybe 10-12 weeks at most. He was bonkers.

Guinea Slave

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I had Guineas as an 8 year old. My parents loved them but we were responsible for them, with them supervising, that was 43 years ago and I still remember the love and fascination I felt when this tiny baby piggy sat on my hand. When I lost them (they both loved to an amazing age!) I will never forget how distraught I was. I was too upset to go to school and usually I’d have be near hospitalisation before I had a day off school! I the had a gap of of many years and then 18 years ago my lovely husband suggested we get some....that was 18 years ago and omg so many memories, so much love. Best little furries ever! x

Zanzan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had a soft spot for them all my life but it wasn't until I was 28 and finally settled in my own house....I went to help my friend run a stall at an RSPCA open day and had a wander around the centre. I saw Hetty and fell in love, took a deep breath and thought oh let's do this. Shows how long ago it was that the RSPCA were happy to let me adopt her as a single pig! But she was soon joined by Jemima and I have had guinea pigs ever since. So glad I went to help out that day, it truly changed my life.

Reaction score
I'm late to Guinea pig love. Growing up we were a dog family all the way.
When did you first realize how much you loved these guys? I'm guessing most grew up with piggy pets, or maybe not.
I would love to hear the piggie love stories.
I can remember my childhood rather well. We had 5 goats, 8 ducks, 2 dogs, 2 cats and a rabbit. Now I remember that I was very cross that everyone in my family had their own ‘breed’ of pets. So for my birthday I asked for 2 Guinea pigs. We asked around and we found some sweet ones nearby. The Guinea pigs were satins and smooth coated and to be honest I liked them but I didn’t quite love them. They were in a shed quite far away from the door so on the winters nights I had to hop out of the door and waddle down in there. This also meant that it was quite cold to even spend some quality time with them! Then the Guinea Pigs moved inside and I was a lot better at cleaning them out and they became a lot friendlier. At this stage I was starting to fall in love with them! I spent a really long time with them each day and gradually they got more and more friendly. This sounds a little bad... I remember going to our garden shop and just going in there and seeing love at first sight! (2 guinea pigs fast asleep next to each other) So we bundled them in the car and slowly introduced them. They immediately got along and loved life. I wasn’t quite in love with them at this stage. When I fell truly in love with them was when we bought a rabbit. The rabbit got really big and had sharp nails which we always seemed to be cutting! Then I realised my love for these animals. They then moved into a 6f outside hutch and a run and the 4 Guinea pigs and the rabbit all lived together. This is when I absolutely loved the guinea pigs. Sometimes i would have thought about getting more but I just remember that I felt completed with these ones. Hope you enjoy reading!

Helen C

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When I was about five, my aunt bought a guinea pig for my cousin and I asked my parents for one as well (Don't judge our parents, it was the 1980's... As a side-note, both my parents had had cats and/or dogs growing up so they knew what it was like having animals home and I guess they missed it as well. They couldn't take care of an animal in the early days of their marriage but by that time, my brother and I were growing more self-sufficient so I guess it seemed like a good time to add a pet to the family).

I adored that guinea pig (His name was Mathurin. Though it recently occured to me that my cousin had named her own gp after a flower and considered her female and we can't both have been right, since the two piggies occasionnaly played together and there were never any babies. Yeah, it was a different time...)

When Mathurin died, I asked for another one, so my parents agreed as long as I took care of him all by myself; I was around 11 at the time. They still kept an eye on things but mostly let me handle the second piggy (Zebulon).

Since then, there's always been a guinea pig (sometimes two) at home, except for a gap of two or three years in high school, when I had decided that I was now grown up and too cool to have a pet. That changed when I started college and realized that most people around me didn't care much about being cool anyway.

So I guess it was love at first sight. :luv: