• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

When we saying no breeding talk on the forum, does this mean only Guinea pigs or every animal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a tricky issue isnt it, breeding guinea pigs is very risky for the mother as the babies are born so big and well developed and pregnancy is so long and physiologically demanding. And breeding any animal for profit is bound to raise welfare concerns where profit comes before welfare. And for some people talk of breeding one type of animal may lead to thoughts of breeding a more expensive/profitable/harder to keep one. But there again breeding rats/mice/hamsters doesnt have such a major welfare or profit issue associated, as long as there are homes for the babies. No idea what the forum stance is, lets ask @Lady Kelly @VickiA @sport_billy (if he's escaped from the nightmare of uni clearing 2020!) And all find out!

I see a YouTube channel and one of the videos was about talking to 3 different rat breeders, that do it as a hobby, and only breed from the healthiest parents. They all said that you have to be careful going to a rat breeder, because it doesn't take much atall to actually be a registered breeder. I don't know if breeding rats is as dangerous as Guinea pigs

I would say occasionally breeding rats has very minimal danger to mum as they pop those babies out so small, but then again they could be bred every month or two in some cases that wouldnt be good... lets see what the mods say, I dont think anyone would be encouraging rat breeding as a regular thing especially to discuss here, in case someone thinks they can do that with piggies, but I dont think the welfare issues are quite the same with rats... but a casual browser here may not know that! Always got to allow for the casual google searcher who sees 1 thread from the forum then doesnt look any further...

This thread could have literally been over with a yes or a no. I was just interested in the rules, incase need to report or stop myself from mentioning any other pet breeding.

Obv I respect no one knows the answer yet. I couldn't find where the rules were. Il dig deeper

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/terms-and-
Section 3
Breeding and Showing.

a) We are a ‘Pro Rescue’ forum. The discussion of intentional breeding must not take place on this forum or any associated services or websites. I) Intentional breeding is defined as the act of placing two animals of different sexes together with the specific intention that they produce additional animals. We reserve the right to remove posts we deem that go into great detail on the that act of 'breeding' as this may be used by those reading to aid them in 'intentional breeding'

Something I have thought of before though is, if the huge chain pet store of the uk closed down every branch, I think gradually you would see less and less Guinea pig in rescue. I think that if you could trace back all of our Guinea pigs, most would trace back to the big UK pet chain store. They dominate right?

So then if there were hardly any pigs in rescue, would responsible breeding then become OK? I think people would become OK with it

What about species conservation for endangered/threatened animals? At animal sanctuaries?🦏

This thread could have literally been over with a yes or a no. I was just interested in the rules, incase need to report or stop myself from mentioning any other pet breeding.

Obv I respect no one knows the answer yet. I couldn't find where the rules were. Il dig deeper
Completely get what you mean, but I wanted to voice my opinion if it was an area that hadn't been covered yet. Thankfully from the above it seems to have been covered in the rules :)

Something I have thought of before though is, if the huge chain pet store of the uk closed down every branch, I think gradually you would see less and less Guinea pig in rescue. I think that if you could trace back all of our Guinea pigs, most would trace back to the big UK pet chain store. They dominate right?

So then if there were hardly any pigs in rescue, would responsible breeding then become OK? I think people would become OK with it
That would be the ideal to be honest, but as of right now I very much doubt that will be happening, interesting food for thought though.

I think you have completely underestimated the role of the back yard breeders here. Many of the piggies we see on free ads sites are actually intentionally bred for profit. If the Pet shops stopped selling piggies the trade would shift out of stores and into the hands of back yard and other professional breeders Without the middle man being involved.
Unless and until Intentional breeding becomes properly regulated I cannot see that there is a place for discussion about the same here.

Just to be absolutely clear - please do not discuss intentional breeding of any animals on the forum.

I think you have completely underestimated the role of the back yard breeders here. Many of the piggies we see on free ads sites are actually intentionally bred for profit. If the Pet shops stopped selling piggies the trade would shift out of stores and into the hands of back yard and other professional breeders Without the middle man being involved.
Unless and until Intentional breeding becomes properly regulated I cannot see that there is a place for discussion about the same here.
I never thought of the back yard breeders. I tend not to go on any parts of the Web that do this, I have heard about it, didn't realise it was so much. Obviously I've come across actually young pets for sale when searching for cages or whatnot, but that's about all

I never thought of the back yard breeders. I tend not to go on any parts of the Web that do this, I have heard about it, didn't realise it was so much. Obviously I've come across actually young pets for sale when searching for cages or whatnot, but that's about all

Sadly I’ve got a different set of experiences from many of you, as being closely involved in rescue activities my eyes are truly open to the extent of people breeding for profit or breeding for perfection (showing or “the fancy”) and discarding sub prime specimens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back