• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Where do guinea pigs come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We were just discussing where guinea pigs originate from any ideas?

no idea, maybe america (everything comes from there, unless it is made, then it comes from china!)

They are originally native to the Andes, in South America. O0

This place:
grasslands1.jpg

They're from South America where they are native and are/were (don't really know) wild. They were then put into captivity and bred for food until they were discovered as great pets from somebody. They're still sadly eaten, but they're obviously pets as well.

Kimmie

Nicked this bit from wikpedia :)

They are originally native to the Andes, and while they are no longer extant in the wild, they are closely related to several species which are commonly found in the grassy plains and plateaus of this region.

Apparently when they were brought over to England, one of our queens(can't remember which one) had one as a pet, and they became popular with the rich people,& were sold to the rich for a guinea, hence the name guinea pig, & pig because they look a bit similar to a pig.
Well that is the story.

Perhaps I'm going to sound very ignorant when I say this.. but I thought they're from New Guinea!............ :-\

No problem MDS O0
And LilTuff, you don't sound ignorant at all. I first thought they were from New Guinea and when I found out they weren't I was like, "then their name doesn't make sense at ALL!" ;D

Kimmie

I spent about 6 months in Peru and I definitely saw them in the wild so not sure what wikipedia is talking about.... Although they were close to an inhabitated area so could have just been part of some free-range guinea pig farm i suppose. :-\ They were considered vermin in this country but are eaten about as widely as we eat pork here. On every street corner there were spit roasts with loads of guinea pigs on and on every menu was guinea pig and chips. These come roasted, still with eyes, teeth and claws intact. It was all very upsetting for a piggy lover. :'(

ive seen that before and its so upsetting :'(

i found somethin on the net the other day where this woman had a back room totally full of piggies waiting to be slaughtered,and the pic was so sad,there mustve been 100 or more :'(

:'( :'( :'(

But they do it to other animals, we do to pigs and cows etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back