• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Where do you put your guinea pigs(s) poop?

CocoAndOreo

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This may sound disgusting, but I actually want to know where you guys put your guinea pigs food.
I will start!
I use the poop as a "fertilizer" for my plants.
Have fun!

I do a poo patrol every morning and put the hay and poop in the compost bin and the twice weekly clean out in the council green bin.

My council is the same so my waste bedding just goes into the green bin for collection. Any stray strands of hay and poop which is on shed floor gets swept up and put into my flower beds/pots. Although when I do the full clean today, i am going to use all waste hay as an insulating layer for my more winter susceptible plants.

We have a green bin once a fortnight but we are NOT allowed to put their waste or hay in it. I’ve complained to Council but they won’t have it, I could totally understand if it was dog or cat poo, but waste fro any rodent is green anyway ☹️

We have a green bin once a fortnight but we are NOT allowed to put their waste or hay in it. I’ve complained to Council but they won’t have it, I could totally understand if it was dog or cat poo, but waste fro any rodent is green anyway ☹️
Same here. Mine won't have it either. I have tried to explain that it makes great compost but that my compost bin is full so I can't take anymore. The Council around here are a waste of space and would argue black was blue if they thought they were right. So mine just ends up fertilising the landfill site. A least it is biodegradable!

We compost all our hay, newspaper and poop in a large compost bin at our allotment. Then dig it into the soil where we plant our potatoes. They do really well with the enrichment and no waste x

I’m hoping to be able to do this during the coming year. We got our allotment a year ago and filled two compost bins with the waste left by the previous holder of our allotment which has now produced lovely compost, so once they are emptied of compost, one of my bins can now be used for some piggy waste!

Poop and hay as mulch, or... straight in black bags. We're not allowed animal bi products in our green garden bin... if the council suspect animal waste in the black bin they'll not take it either. So you have to be a bit crafty. Or else compost/burn it.

Mine just go in the bin, usually with the litter hay and (of course) poops

I do a poo patrol every morning and put the hay and poop in the compost bin and the twice weekly clean out in the council green bin.
Hi - can I ask if you put bedding in the green bin? We live in the same council area and after checking their website I didn't think they allowed pet bedding in the green. The guinea pigs are generating more soiled Carefresh than my black bin can accommodate (and my compost bin is full) so if I could get away with putting it in the green bin I would...

Hi - can I ask if you put bedding in the green bin? We live in the same council area and after checking their website I didn't think they allowed pet bedding in the green. The guinea pigs are generating more soiled Carefresh than my black bin can accommodate (and my compost bin is full) so if I could get away with putting it in the green bin I would...

It all depends on what your Council's policy is. Some allow it some don't.

It all depends on what your Council's policy is. Some allow it some don't.
Yes I didn't think our council allowed it which is why I'm curious as to what @Dindypig is putting in the green bin (and if I can get away with it too!) as we seem to live in the same area.

Yes I didn't think our council allowed it which is why I'm curious as to what @Dindypig is putting in the green bin (and if I can get away with it too!) as we seem to live in the same area.

My council don't allow it but others do. It's most frustrating as mine goes straight to landfill when I know it makes great compost!

Back