• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Where to buy Swarfega in the uk?

Chloe.123

Junior Guinea Pig
I was wondering where everyone in the uk buys Swarfega? I’ve never heard of it before so I also don’t know what it is, but I’ve seen today that’s best for grease glands.

I gave both of my boys bums a wash today as they both looked very greasy (one of them also has dry skin there). I washed them both with normal guinea pig shampoo and it’s worked a little, but not as well as I had hoped.

So if anyone can help, where can I buy it from and how do I use it? Thanks

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18
You can get it on Amazon not sure how to use it on a piggy though as never had to. I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you.

Guineautopia

Teenage Guinea Pig
I have to say I found coconut oil great on a boars grease glad much better than swafega which is like a exfoliating hand wash. Seems wrong to put something that harsh on their bums!
You can get coconut oil in supermarkets.

nana piggie

Forum Donator 2017/18
Hi, i use it on my Rosie, she has quite an active grease gland. You can get it at B&Q and Halfords. There are several types, you need the original classic one, it doesn't have any bits in it. It smells funny, and i was a bit wary the first time i used it, but it works, and Rosie actually enjoys having it massaged into her bum. Just wish she enjoyed the gorgeous guinea shampoo afterwards.!

Chloe.123

Junior Guinea Pig
Thanks for the help! I think I’ll give coconut oil a try first, and the other next time if that doesn’t work.
Do I use it like shampoo? Wet it, apply and wash off?

Julie M

Forum Donator 2017/18
No you put the oil or swarfega onto dry fur and massage in. Then rinse and shampoo

eileen

Forum Donator 2017/18
i get mine from wicks the hardware store.i rub it into dry skin around the grease gland.i leave it for ten minutes and then bath them in guinea pig shampoo.if it is really sticky still i repeat the swarfega,leave ten minutes and give a bum wash !you need the green oringinal swarfega,not the orange exfoliation swarfega handwash.if i have run out of swarfega i have used fairy washing up liquid,apply to dry skin,work it into the grease gland ,leave for 15 mins ,then shampoo off.:)

Chloe.123

Junior Guinea Pig
Ahh ok. I’ll try that, thank you! I’ll probably have to wait a while before I try again.... They aren’t very happy with me after the wash today :doh:

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Make sure you buy the one for using on your hands as you can get swarfega patio cleaners etc that are going to be far too strong

GPTV

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2017/18
here you go if you have one locally its available at Wilko too, make sure its the green original/classic that you get
like this
Swarfega Rapid Hand Cleaner Original Tub 1L

its also available in 275ml pots or hand pump versions too (the hand pump is a very expensive way of buying it though!)
screwfix or toolstation also sell it too for a bit cheaper if you have one locally, you can drop in collect, no P&P

you can put it on clothes that have had paint or creosote, cooking fat wasted/splashed on them too. dab on a finger-full of Swarfega on to the dry clothing & gently rub it in both sides of garment is best, leave for a few hours (don't rinse or dilute with water to start off with) & then pop in the washing machine with the rest of your load & it usually comes out grease free :)
Or if you tinker with cars/oily mechanical things generally just use it as a hand soap (smells weird, but works a treat!)

Last edited: