Which career path to take..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am struggling to decide on which career path to take. I have two choices.

1. Veterinary route. I have an animal management qualification so I can go further with my dream of being a veterinary nurse, since I was very young I've wanted to do this. But my lacking skill in mathematics worries me. What if I can't count the pulse rate right, what if I give the wrong dose of medicine, I have a maths dislexyia(spelling). I don't do well with numbers underpresure. But I'd love to help sick animals, but could I cope with one dying... Hmmm?

2. My own dog grooming business with my partner. Now this is an opportunity to die for. My Partners father has offered to set me and my partner up a dog grooming business. Which is amazing at it would suit my plan to be an at home mum in the future. The business would be held in a converted garage. My partners dad has offered to pay the fee's to create the business. And I decided to go on a course but have had to put it on hold due to lack of money. The business is due to go into both mine and my partners names so if anything was to happen I wouldn't loose everything. I have to be serious.

I haven't decided yet and it's going on a year now and I'm stuck in a dead end job which is getting me nowhere at all..

And now I worry about if I am going to choose the wrong path for my future. What would you guys do as I'm so so stuck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you're able to I would go for the dog grooming if it was me for a few reasons if someone brings their dog to you then hopefully it means they're well loved & cared for, with vet nursing you might come across neglect cases which I think would make me sad/angry and also like you I think I'd struggle seeing an animal die be pts.

Good luck whatever you choose to do x

Sarah from Chucklebunnies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If you train to be a vet nurse then you have to find a job to go to afterwards. This is not so easy at the moment. It is a fixed hours job though.

If you start a dog grooming business then you have to be prepared to work whatever hours are needed to get the business up and running - evenings etc - to make sure the business works. Do not underestimate the work needed. Not a fixed hours job. You also need to be personable and sell the grooming business as it were, you would be the 'face' of it. So a slightly different skill set needed and less 'structure' in the work place.

If you have no health issues and can work like stink then I would go for the dog grooming business because it is still loads more fun being your own boss. You can make more money at this too, and gain an enormous amount of personal satisfaction in the job you do for other people's pets.

Best of luck in whatever you choose.

Reaction score
The dog grooming business seems to be my better option I think, more reliable wise. I'm not worried about putting lots of work in, as I already work hard, 6 days a week full days in an dead end job haha. I'd proberly work harder for a career I wanted. I think that makes me more confident knowing I can put the work in to start it up.

I'm a reall bubbly person I try to please everyone and I'm always approachable. I think I have good customer service...

But the thing is wouldn't you feel forever in debt by the person who gave you the money to start it up?
I'm just not sure

vicky1804

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If your worried about being in debt you can always set up an agreement that once the business is up and running, turning a profit you can start paying them back.
Your partners father must have faith in you both to offer to help you this way

CandyFloss

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think the dog grooming may be better. If you are working for yourself then you will be able to see the rewards of hard work and be more likely to give it your all. Plus it suits your long term plans too.

I think being a vet nurse you will have to put up with the politics and people aswell as poorly animals and even some being pts who arent ill. The flexibility long term wouldnt be as good (I dont think).

Both would be great choices though so good luck and follow a dream :)

x

threelittlepigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You really need to do your homework about competitors in your area and how they are faring right now. People are cutting their spending across the board and you don't want to get caught out by the downturn in the economy.

Reaction score
I've already started that, I am in close communication to a lot of groomers around Luton and outside of Luton. I've worked out how much they make by a rough price list, investigated on their busy seasons and non busy seasons, etc. But it won't be up and running for a long time yet. I want the best qualifications before I think of opening and starting the actual business, quality, speed and customers service is the key. I want it to be perfect if I take this route. Don't want to rush it. So there's a lot more homework to be done :) Thanks threelittlepigs very constructive.

Reaction score
It's a big decision, either way it's life changing, but I'd say go with your heart. I've wasted so much time going with my head and the sensible things it tells me to do, I'm now going with my heart, though I'm a bit screwed if my heart is wrong too :)) But you'll know deep down which one is going to be the best choice for you xox

Status
Not open for further replies.