Which guinea breeds/types are the most intelligent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cavykind

Many people very wrongly think that guineas don't have individual temperaments/traits and pesonalities. Of course we all know otherwise :)

But...do you think that there are any breeds/types that are more intelligent/wily/clever/ than others?

Personally I have always found Abyssinian types to be top of the league in this department, I had one called Barnaby who was "as cute as a box of monkeys" >:D

Of course I'm sure others will have their own opinion on this subject :)

Barbara

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
In my experience the Abbys are definately the brightest sparks!

Roo my current Abby is amazing - he knows loads of words and commands and can do all sorts of things that my other piggies can't.

I have also had some very bright cross breed piggies - Daisybelle my latest sow is shaping up to be a bright one too I think.

My least intelligent piggie is Arthur a peru cross but it is not his fault as he is brain damaged and has epilepsy. He does silly things like walk into walls or walk forwards into a small space and then forget that he can walk backwards to get out.

Clever or silly I love them all though!

Abnoba

Reaction score
I never really noticed any breed to be smarter than the other...

some piggies definitely are brighter than others - but that can happen in the same breed aswell ;D
Have noticed thought that the girls seem to be brighter than the boys :P

G

GuineaPiggable

Ive only had Bimbi for a few weeks, and I'm new to guinea pigs, so I dont know. ^^;

michellemuffin

Reaction score
I think all my boys know how to use humans to their advantage, my girls just go with the flow but boys definalty work for their wants, and I think my shelties have all been most intelligent but its swings and roundabouts

C

chinakit

I think Abys are pretty intelligent too ::)

Also in my experience, Argentes, Rex and Peruvians are very laid back, especially the boys.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
chinakit said:
I think Abys are pretty intelligent too ::)

Also in my experience, Argentes, Rex and Peruvians are very laid back, especially the boys.
I agree about Rexes being so laid back, if Hamish wasn't already horizontal he'd fall over :D

linda.b

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Not sure about most intelligent, but I find the long-hairs, once they've gone through puberty, seem more laid back and relaxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.