• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Which rescues can I rehome from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eva

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone I have decided to move my piggies into my room in a big c and c cage and would like to rescue some girls late april I really dont want to use a pet shop as I have been having a look at a piggie web site and am shocked at how bad the problem is. But I know there are some rescues I can't rehome from I have a almost 3 year old and a 9 month old. Can I rescue from anywhere?

Northampton opps that would have helped and I have just worked out I have put this post in the wrong place in my brain dead state sorry everyone :(

Even if they say willnot rehome to people with Small Children I would still approach the rescue and explain your set up, every individual case is different and if you are the sole carer and the pigs are safe and secure I doubt any rescue would have a problem.

Obviously if say the pigs are timid and shy, the rescuer may feel they will be better being homed to an adult home. I don't imagine any rescue would cross you off because you have young children.

I've found the same thing with rescues, some say they won't rehome to a family with a child under 3/5 etc (I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old) which to me is just ridiculous as I look after the piggies and would never let the children pick them up or stroke them unattended, and they're probably much safer than possibly with a 10 year old who may be left unattended etc

Rescues set their rehoming criteria based on their own experiences and what they feel comfortable with. As Eva has mentioned, this sometimes includes not rehoming to families with young children. This is not a reflection on individuals but each rescue will have good reasons for making a broad decision.

Having seen toddlers carrying guinea pigs round like a dolly under their arm, I can understand the hesitation. If all parents were as responsible as the people on here, there wouldn't be a problem.

:)

Thank you for your replys everyone I have to say I would much rather be told I was not allowed to rehome from a center because I have children then have piggies go to familys with children who are allowed to hold/carry the piggies. my kids are not allowed to hold or cuddle my piggies as I feel they are very fragile and not for kids! All I wanted to know was what rescues can I rehome from I dont want to get into the rights and wrongs of the policy of rescues.

There are not that many guinea pig savvy rescues I would recommend in Northamptonshire.

If you don't mind the drive/train journey, I could recommend contacting Jo from Cheylesmore rescue in Coventry, off the A45/M45 and about five minutes drive from the station. She's got children your age herself and has no problems rehoming to a responsible parent. She hasn't got any piggies at the moment due to changing her set up but will get some in soon!

This is her website: http://www.cheylesmoreguineapigrescue.co.uk/
She's also on Facebook under Cheylesmore Guinea Pig Rescue

Last edited:
We would rehome to you as the piggies would be for you not your children.

There might be certain piggies that you wouldn't be able to rehome ie. I had one in a few months ago that used to nip everytime you tried to stroke her, or any extremely nervous piggy that needed a very quiet home but majority of piggies would fit perfectly into a family home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back