• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

which wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepperdog

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Looking at the wood I can get easily I wanted to check which ones were safe for piggies when replacing and making parts of the hutch internal areas. I am going to put a second floor down ontop of the exsisting one, with a few newspapers inbetween to line and insulate the flooring for them. I also need to cover up the hole for the ramp as there is no ramp there at the moment.

I have a sheet of plywood as the replacement floor brought it today, perfect size for the whole hutch 6mm thick. I was looking at chipboard, 12mm but I think its a little too heavy for a start as its upstairs and not sure how it would hold up to little teethies.

For the ramp, and railing I could use MDF - but wanted to check this was suitable to use for them, plywood for the length needed would be a tad bendy, unless I used a double thickness - still havent quite figured out how I am going to fix it and how to make it safe for them etc so this is thinking ahead.

I will just put the new plywood floor down as is (when trimmed to size) and this will cover the back hole where a ramp can go, but later on I would like them to have downstairs as a play area for them, upstairs to be food (some downstairs too) and sleeping.

Its alright I have found suitable wood for the ramp, not MDF which I am sure you are supposed to wear face masks if sawing. Anyway, simple hardwood planks cut into the right size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back