• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

white around eyes; not moving much

squibbyfibby

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hey. I'm sorry if this sounds rushed; I'm just really worried for my piggy.
around the rim of his eye, he has little white spots that look like they may be moving. he hasnt been eating or drinking, or moving much either. we even refilled his hay [which usually hypes him up] and he barely budged, even then he didnt approach it. we're really scared for him.
ive researched and it seems this could just be an infection; but ive seen theres also much more serious illnesses that scare me a lot.
we're going to do everything we can to take him to a vet tomorrow, but for anyone who may be more of an expert, i was wondering- is he going to be okay overnight? its about midnight now, so he wont be going more then 18 hours without medical care, hopefully much sooner. i plan to stay up and watch him.
id just like to reassurance that he'll be ok for another night, hopefully. just for info he's our only piggy [we're with him often] and his cage was cleaned yesterday; we buy the same hay and food we've had no issue with for 2 years and there doesnt seem to be anything bad with it anyway, nor anything bad in his cage.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
A piggy who isn’t eating needs help. You need to syringe feed him regularly to keep his guts working and then get him to the vet. We can’t say what is wrong with him, only a vet can do that but he needs you to step in with feeding him (the guides below explain how to mush up pellets and syringe feed) and weigh him daily to ensure you’re getting enough syringe feeds into him.

I’ll add some guides in below

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Let us know how you get on. I hope he is ok

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
hey. I'm sorry if this sounds rushed; I'm just really worried for my piggy.
around the rim of his eye, he has little white spots that look like they may be moving. he hasnt been eating or drinking, or moving much either. we even refilled his hay [which usually hypes him up] and he barely budged, even then he didnt approach it. we're really scared for him.
ive researched and it seems this could just be an infection; but ive seen theres also much more serious illnesses that scare me a lot.
we're going to do everything we can to take him to a vet tomorrow, but for anyone who may be more of an expert, i was wondering- is he going to be okay overnight? its about midnight now, so he wont be going more then 18 hours without medical care, hopefully much sooner. i plan to stay up and watch him.
id just like to reassurance that he'll be ok for another night, hopefully. just for info he's our only piggy [we're with him often] and his cage was cleaned yesterday; we buy the same hay and food we've had no issue with for 2 years and there doesnt seem to be anything bad with it anyway, nor anything bad in his cage.
Hi!

If your piggy is not eating, then please switch from the once weekly weigh-in to weighing daily at the same time in order to monitor the food intake (around 80% is hay but you cannot control that by eye) and step in with feeding support asap as much as needed. You can improvise with mushed up pellets at first. Make a vet appointment as soon a possible, either with an out-of-hours if you have them or a regular as soon as they open.
if your piggy is not eating and drinking at all, you need to feed fibre and as much water as he will take every 2 hours during the day and at least once a night, aiming for the equivalent of 40-60 ml in 24 hours or as close as you can come in order to keep the guts going. Your home care support is as important as any medical care because you can't treat a piggy whose body is shutting down from lack of food and water. Any piggy that is not eating at all is a very ill piggy indeed! The causes can differ widely and there is in many cases either a pain issue of some sort, heat stroke/guts stopping to work or something that prevents the digestive system from working behind it. Your care can make all the difference to keep your piggy alive until they can be seen by a vet and any medication can kick in.

Please read the green links in the previous post. They tell you exactly what you can do and - in the first guide - how you can improvise in an emergency. We cannot repeat all the relevant tips and advice in every single post.

In case of hot weather, you will also need this this advice: Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

All the best!

squibbyfibby

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey. He's drinking water normally and moving more, and hes eating a little bit of the mushed up food i offered him.
I'm afraid we don't own a syringe; we've never been recommended to purchase one. It's 4am here but as soon as the store opens we will rush there and purchase a syringe to feed him with. I'm afraid they open at 8am- I'm not sure what I can do until then, as it's around 3 hours away from now. Once we feed him, we'll be contacting all vet services in our area until we can find one who can take him immediately or within a few hours.
Thank you.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey. He's drinking water normally and moving more, and hes eating a little bit of the mushed up food i offered him.
I'm afraid we don't own a syringe; we've never been recommended to purchase one. It's 4am here but as soon as the store opens we will rush there and purchase a syringe to feed him with. I'm afraid they open at 8am- I'm not sure what I can do until then, as it's around 3 hours away from now. Once we feed him, we'll be contacting all vet services in our area until we can find one who can take him immediately or within a few hours.
Thank you.
All the best! Try a spoon and mushed up pellets (see tips in the emergency care guide). It is good that your boy is still drinking; that means that the gut is still working.