• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

White Guinea pig. Lost weight a wee bit.

Theodor51

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My boys Guinea pig lost weight.never ate. Peeing a lot no poo.
Took him to vet and got 3 medicines and a protein too. Syringed pellets he gets fed with.. Few days past and he's drinking nibbling veg. Hay. Chewing and spitting out pellets.
He used to eat loads of food. Kale, dandelion leafs, carrots. Not much hay. Bought a sweet hay. Trying him with that.
He's not pooing much at all. I remember his cage was full of poo.

Attachments

• 15395572168081581437830.jpg
    15395572168081581437830.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 4
Took him to vet and got 3 medicines and a protein too. Syringed pellets he gets fed with.. Few days past and he's drinking nibbling veg. Hay. Chewing and spitting out pellets.
He used to eat loads of food. Kale, dandelion leafs, carrots. Not much hay. Bought a sweet hay. Trying him with that.
That fact that you say hes spitting out pellets point towards overgrown back teeth. You need a guinea pig experienced vet to take a look. If they grown too long they will trap the tongue, then he wont eat atall.

Hi! Lack of poos is result of lack of food. Please keep in mind that 80% or more of the daily food intake is hay; just a little mushed pellets is not enough. In order to keep the guts going, you need to feed ideally up to 60 ml in 24 hoursm the more often the less he will take in one go. Nibbling on hay can be deceptive. You need to weigh daily at the same time instead of weekly to monitor the actual food intake.

Has your vet checked the back teeth for overgrowth? Spitting out hard food is usually indicative of a dental problem. Have a look at the incisors; they should be nice and even. if they are slanted, jagged or inwards pointing, then that is usually a sign that the molars at the back are overgrowing. the premolars can form spurs that bridge and trap the tongue, making chewing and swallowing difficult.

Please take the time to read this guide here. You will have to wait for 1-2 days to see an increase of poos as it is taking that long for them to be processed and digested twice:
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

That fact that you say hes spitting out pellets point towards overgrown back teeth. You need a guinea pig experienced vet to take a look. If they grown too long they will trap the tongue, then he wont eat atall.
I said that to the vet she's said his teeth were OK. Your right about the teeth I knew they were too long. As he was grinding themlast week.

Hi! Lack of poos is result of lack of food. Please keep in mind that 80% or more of the daily food intake is hay; just a little mushed pellets is not enough. In order to keep the guts going, you need to feed ideally up to 60 ml in 24 hoursm the more often the less he will take in one go. Nibbling on hay can be deceptive. You need to weigh daily at the same time instead of weekly to monitor the actual food intake.

Has your vet checked the back teeth for overgrowth? Spitting out hard food is usually indicative of a dental problem. Have a look at the incisors; they should be nice and even. if they are slanted, jagged or inwards pointing, then that is usually a sign that the molars at the back are overgrowing. the premolars can form spurs that bridge and trap the tongue, making chewing and swallowing difficult.

Please take the time to read this guide here. You will have to wait for 1-2 days to see an increase of poos as it is taking that long for them to be processed and digested twice:
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Thanks for that. Now I get some sleep. Think it could be his teeth as I knew it was the teeth. I will have a look. Maybe post a picture of his teeth..

You can't see the back teeth easily. They will need a scope or possibly sedation or anesthesia to properly see the back teeth.

You can't see the back teeth easily. They will need a scope or possibly sedation or anesthesia to properly see the back teeth.
They cleaned his throat out with a cotton bud then put a scope in the mouth. Said there was no lumps. They said teeth was OK. He's chewed a bit of celery. Started some hay too. A bit of Carrott

They cleaned his throat out with a cotton bud then put a scope in the mouth. Said there was no lumps. They said teeth was OK. He's chewed a bit of celery. Started some hay too. A bit of Carrott

Just keep offering him top up syringe feed until his weight is going up again; keep in mind that over 80% of what guinea pigs eat in a day is hay, so nibbling on a little veg doesn't give you the whole picture. For the time being please continue with weighing daily at the same time as the problem may sit somewhere else (cheap kitchen scales from supermarket are perfectly OK) .Guinea pigs can't unfortunately tell us what ails them.

All the best!

Just keep offering him top up syringe feed until his weight is going up again; keep in mind that over 80% of what guinea pigs eat in a day is hay, so nibbling on a little veg doesn't give you the whole picture. For the time being please continue with weighing daily at the same time as the problem may sit somewhere else (cheap kitchen scales from supermarket are perfectly OK) .Guinea pigs can't unfortunately tell us what ails them.

All the best!
I've got scales great idea.

Lots of hay now. Even gave him some dill. Lol. I will use scales tommorow. I know he is getting a wee bit weight on by lifting him. I've been watching videos on utube too which are interesting. Guinea pigs getting meds and food and cleaning. Things they like and don't like.

Lots of hay now. Even gave him some dill. Lol. I will use scales tommorow. I know he is getting a wee bit weight on by lifting him. I've been watching videos on utube too which are interesting. Guinea pigs getting meds and food and cleaning. Things they like and don't like.

Please be careful with youtube video guides; there are some pretty bad ones around!

I know what you mean. I seem to keep to a certain few thanks for the info

We don't have many videos, but we have got a guide collection on a wide range of topics, which you can access via the shortcut on the top bar. ;)

You know you are well and truly :own:when you get excited by poo!

After her op my Jemimah took a while to resume normal service and I remember how pleased I was when she deposited a number of poos all over me.

Glad your boy is on the mend

Back