• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Why again??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Poor Duke,
i mean with everything else he's had to put up with it's just not fair.
Go to clean him out on sat afternoon, mmmmmm why's your chin wet boy? Closer look, broken front teeth. :'(

So a busy weekend got busier, i bathed him on sat arvo as he was quite pongy obviously the tooth prob.
By sunday i was back on syringe feeding, but he came thru, i'm so proud of him he slurped up his CC by himself :-* :-*

Today he had his teeth trimmed yet again, vet not happy with him tho, said his back teeth are still causing him probs the vets again
trimmed them back hard.

The positive is he's my beautiful little man and i'll do everything i can for him. CC has become his fav food (amazing)

Billies Mum

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sadly once a pig has had teeth problems they never really go away.
Though I can only really speak from my own experience

You just have to try and keep on top of things and a trip to be trimmed every 4 - 6 weeks is not uncommon.

Try and plan it in so that it gets dealt with regularly in order to prevent any discomfort for Duke leading up to a trim.
EG
I used to block book appts for Bil, up to 6 at a time.
We went every 4 weeks
It cost me an arm and a leg but there was never any question of not doing it

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
Poor love.

Ton is thesame. A few months back, he broke his bottom teeth, then his top, and we gave him grated foods to eat.

Since they started growing back, they have been erractic and he now has them trimmed every 6 weeks. Just something that needs to be done :)

Doesn't stop him eating though!

C

cavykind

Billies Mum said:
Sadly once a pig has had teeth problems they never really go away.
Though I can only really speak from my own experience

You just have to try and keep on top of things and a trip to be trimmed every 4 - 6 weeks is not uncommon.

Try and plan it in so that it gets dealt with regularly in order to prevent any discomfort for Duke leading up to a trim.
EG
I used to block book appts for Bil, up to 6 at a time.
We went every 4 weeks
It cost me an arm and a leg but there was never any question of not doing it
Good advice there. Toffee one of my boys is needing his teeth trimmed every 10 weeks or so, I take him sooner rather than later as a day or two can make a big difference to them. Of course every guinea pig will be different.
Thankfully, he has never had any mouth ulces or injuries, but it's always worth keeping this in mind if your guinea has teeth problems as this will need attention too if present.

Barbara

K

KatsCavies

I had a piggy with tooth problems as well. His teeth would grow and just break and fall out. They didn't even get to grow to their ideal length before he lost them again. Everytime it happened I would grate his carrots etc so he could continue eating and keep his back teeth in good order. Cavies only use their incisors to bite off chunks of food so they can fit in their mouths. If you make sure you provide them with small, mouth sized bits of food, they can manage perfectly well without their incisors until they grow back.

Kat

C

cavykind

KatsCavies said:
I had a piggy with tooth problems as well. His teeth would grow and just break and fall out. They didn't even get to grow to their ideal length before he lost them again. Kat
I have had rescue guineas come in like this, the teeth would grow so long and then you would find them in their dish. Osteocare liquid soon remedied the problem and once they had been given a "course" the problem never happened again.

Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.