Why are they smelling so bad this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We have two GP's Dizzee and Buster and they both live indoors. We clean the cage out well every week and that is usually sufficient.

This week however they seem to smell quite bad so we cleaned out the cage a bit earlier last night and also decide to give them their first bath.

They smell much better now, but is there any particular reason they may suddenly smell worse?

Also, a bit random, but Dizzee the more dominant one seems to like being head humped by the other one and looks like he forces his way underneath.:)) Is this normal for the more dominant GP?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like your other one has been hit by the big hormones - what you are smelling is pure undiluted 'eau de male', i.e. liberally sprayed testosterone laden pee!

chul

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Since getting Bruno a buddy, I noticed the smell is stronger. Wellington is just over 4 months old, would it be hormones in him too?

The Pog Nation

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Since getting Bruno a buddy, I noticed the smell is stronger. Wellington is just over 4 months old, would it be hormones in him too?

More than likely. It can get pretty whiffy!

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Could be, also worth considering if anything in the diet are making the poops more potent. The gassy brassica veg tend to be the culprits - broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage (incl. "spring greens" and "fresh greens" ), kale, brussels sprouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.