Why cucumber if there is no nutritional value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just curious. Most of our piggies love cucumber but as has been stated many times there is no nutritional value so I was just wondering why we give them it. It's one of the veg I give them on a daily basis.

ClaireBear

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Because they love it! Mine go bonkers for cucumber and it has high water content which is good for them, same as lettuce really. My guys just love all veg thats nutritionally rubbish and turn their nose up at the really good stuff.

Doeylicious

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I gave it to Bumble a lot after his op, as he wasn't drinking much, and I thought it would get a bit of water in him at least.

He seems to be addicted now though...

Cherry hates it, unless it is teeny tiny bits, LauraLucy warned me about it before I got her.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
suppose its the same reason I love cake even though theres no nutritional value in it :))

lauralucy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
all mine like it, i gave it to Nilla when she wasnt well and wasnt drinking a lot it helps provide water if nothing else :))

hellsbells82

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
there's obviously not enough calories in it for my boys- they won't touch it!

Bubble and Squeak used to love it though, on Christmas Day (the day before they died) I wrapped a cucumber and put it next to their cage, then when my daughter came down I told her Father Christmas had brought it for them as it was their favourite and she helped them unwrap it they had some of it for their Christmas breakfast 8...

paulag

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's not true that it has no nutritional value, there will be fibre, vitamins and antioxidants in there. It just has a high water content so these are less concentrated than drier vegetables. My guys love it as well - a great treat for porky piggies :)

Paula

Status
Not open for further replies.