• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Winter Hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggy person

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi guys!
Becouse its getting colder and its supposted to snow soon and i was thinking of taking them out of there summer hutch into ther winter one.
is it too early becouse there winter one is quite small and cramped?
thanks, Jen

could you not insulate the bigger hutch , how small is the small hutch? will they be in a shed over winter? if you look on ebay, i am sure you could pick up a cheaper cage to keep them inside overwinter? if this is not possible, there are threads on here telling you how to insulate a hutch for winter, and ways to keep them warm x

I don't know where you heard it was going to snow soon :o. Its not forecasted at all on Netweather which is a very reliable forcasting site. DO NOT listen to what the papers say as scare mongering weather reports on the front pages is there to sell paper LOL along with shed loads of de icer. I have moved all my piggies into the revamped hutches in the shed a week ago now. This year I am not going to use the convector heater in there due to the high running costs of it. Looking into a tubular heater instead for when the tempreture really dips. For now its not dropping below 15c in the piggy shed but its covered in thermal foil and at dusk I am closing the curtins on the windows. Today I put a curtin pole over the door so I can have a nice heavy duty curtin to stop any draught coming in through the door.

were having the conservatory done at the moment (and might not be done in time for winter) and thats were they usally go in the winter. i think there smaller hutch is 3 yrs old and is falling apart. maybe time to get a new one...

Try not to worry could they not stay permently in the summer hutch with some kind of covers on it along with some thermal foil stuff? Or could you buy an indoor cage and have them in the house in a different room could that be an option. Sorry I don't come on here very often anymore so not sure how many piggies you have ect :)

i have just the 2 piggies and my step dad enforces the no-piggies-in-the- house rule. lol maybe ill pinch some of the leftover carpet and line the hutch with it?

Oh I see the pickle your in now aww try not to worry. Do you have a shed or unused garage they could go in ? If not is there a really sheltered area down the side of the house or anything? :)

Sorry I was putting little one to bed. Looks like thats the only option then sweetie but there is a lot you can do to ensure they are comfortable as they can be. In the bedroom put them a cardboard box in this will add a little more insulation. Cover the hutch in thermal foil I find this Fantastic you could also line the floor with it then cover with cheap lino which would help a bit. Also measure the Hutch and buy a cover which zips up a bit like a tent over it this will keep the harsh weather out as much as possible. I got one on Ebay at the fraction of the cost P@H sell them for:) I have never used heatpads but I know lots on here have used them. Good luck and do not feel bad I pray we have a mild winter now just for your much loved piggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back