• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Winter proof hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleEskimo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey there I currently have a rabbit living outside and I was wondering what cheap effective ways there are to keep her at an ideal warmth :)
I was thinking of getting her a buddy to cuddle up with but I need to save up to get her jabs done and I might even need to buy a bigger hutch which is annoying since I have hardly any money :/
I have just filled her hutch up with more straw as it seems colder tonight without the cloud cover and I have tarpolin over her hutch but I doubt that will keep extra warmth in.
Should I try fleece or stick to straw or maybe even both?
Just anything cheap and effective :) thanks

Also what temperature is good for a rabbit? I have been told rabbits deal better with cold then they do heat but how do I make sure its not too cold for her because I always worry :(

Last winter i bought two rolls of loft insulation and pinned it to my rabbits hutch. That alsong with the extra hay and tarpaulin and heat pads kept him cosy in even in the -10 weather. He gets stressed coming in the house so thats how i had to keep him warm...;)

Aw thats a great idea :D ill look into it. How does one stick it to the hutch though?
We did have her in last winter when she was still a baby but now she has grown so big that we have nowhere to keep her...unless I pull out our dog cage but I have no idea where to put it :/
I was thinkig of looking around for cheap fleece...I might even look into markets and shops that might sell fleecey and warm material as that might be cheaper :)

I'm putting my hutches in a shed this year. I've just got this as well to insulate the shed, it was a steal. ;)

space blanket

Luckily, I've got a decent sized garden. The shed is going right up against the right hand fence at right angles to the metal shed. I'll still have plenty of lawn to set the big pen up. ;) I've got 6 foot fence across the bottom of the garden since this photo was taken.

DSC00048.jpg

There are some pad things that you microwave for 4 minues, and they stay warm for 10 hours...They sell them in Prats @ Home and I think you can also get them on line. I'm sure there are people on here that use them and said they were really good.

Our garden is about the same size roughly but my mum has got our garden full of flowers and decking and a pond so theres no room for a shed haha but when I move out soon its going to revolve around the pets and then Ill put pretty flowers inbetween :P I need to have a pretty garden, I'm like my mum haha.
Oh yeah I have heard of those heat pads but I don't know if my rabbit will cuddle up to them as in the summer I got her a tile to lay on and she just prefered to bury it under the hay lol but ill give them a go if I can get them cheap enough :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back