• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Winter run

Status
Not open for further replies.

DizzyDinosaur

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Now the nice warm weather has gone, I am going to bring rex and mojo's run in from outside and use it as there home over winter.

Last year I did this but rex was on a lino floor with the blanket so I Just mopped the floor with trigene and dumped the blanket in the washing machine on a 60c wash after shaking it outside to remove the poop and hay, this year I cant keep him where I had him last year so he has to go into the spare room which has carpet.

Could I just put bin bags underneath the blanket and some news paper on top of them, then the blanket? or would that likely soak into the carpet?

Hi
You can buy a shower curtain in Asda, their cheapest range, for £1.98. It is waterproof and could possibly be perfect for your needs. Before I got my correx I had my indoor cage, on top of some heavy duty plastic underlay-type stuff. Like you, mine are on a bedroom carpet, (mine is just 3 months old and a pale cream!) I would say a big sheet of polythene and a shower curtain, maybe two if it's a big run. And of course, newspaper is very very absorbent.
Hope this helps.

I will try that, If it does soak onto the carpet it wont be to much trouble as the carpet needs cleaning soon.
Off topic: I love your avatar mummylind I has having a good giggle while attempting to type this post

Hi
You can buy a shower curtain in Asda, their cheapest range, for £1.98. It is waterproof and could possibly be perfect for your needs. Before I got my correx I had my indoor cage, on top of some heavy duty plastic underlay-type stuff. Like you, mine are on a bedroom carpet, (mine is just 3 months old and a pale cream!) I would say a big sheet of polythene and a shower curtain, maybe two if it's a big run. And of course, newspaper is very very absorbent.
Hope this helps.

i must be doing some thing wrong with newspaper then! i dont find it at all absorbent, have to change it everyday where they wee, it is wringing wet! (perhaps it is because we read the sun, perhaps the daily telegraph might work better) :)) :)) :))

I use a ground sheet. (Like what you use to stick under your sleeping bag when camping. I also use them to cover the hutches to keep the nasty weather away).

my pen is on my old double bed (matress removed) and I have tarpaulin down ontop of some old cardboard boxes (just incase) then sheets of correx taped together, then newspaper, towels and fleece. The correx actually stops any wet from getting past and I change my papers twice a week, but I also have some litter trays where they would sit the most eating and weeing so it keeps the mess down a lot.

When I had them for the weekend at friends they were on a tarp, on a pvc sheet, then paper and towels and fleece - kept the floor dry which was a wooden floor and couldnt get wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back