Working from home?

Spoink

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone works from home, and if so, what do you do?

I am looking for a career change, and obviously, that's the dream. :luv:

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone works from home, and if so, what do you do?

I am looking for a career change, and obviously, that's the dream. :luv:
I wish but I don’t think I would be very productive. I think you have to be very disciplined to work from home, I think a home office would be useful else I’d end up watching Homes under the Hammer for seven hours a day..

AMMAH

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I wish but I don’t think I would be very productive. I think you have to be very disciplined to work from home, I think a home office would be useful else I’d end up watching Homes under the Hammer for seven hours a day..
Ha ha I love homes under the hammer! That's what we like to watch at the weekend whilst eating our breakfast :D

AMMAH

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
we love the random music they put on to match whatever they've just said. And if it's a run down house, the presenters start ripping off wallpaper or breaking off pieces of floorboard just to make sure the viewers are clear about that!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m completely the opposite! I actually prefer escape to the country rather than homes under the hammer!

As someone who has an incredibly part time job out of the house (just 3 hours a week) and also run our family business part time from home (doesn’t take a lot of hours, it’s certainly not the case of being at my desk for hours on end at home). I find being at home so much of the time quite difficult. I really go all week and see very few other adults (a couple of friends on the school run each morning and afternoon, and my husband in the evenings). I’m busy while I’m at home - I’m a mum of two, have the business and the house to look after - but it’s not really seeing other people much during the day which gets hard after a while

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I can work from home one or two days a week, I dont have TV but I do have many gorgeous guinea pigs so "working from home" is a euphemism for "drinking wine in my pyjamas and obsessing about guinea pigs" :)
Luckily as a zoology lecturer, pet days with a few emails can count as work, and being on the forum can count as "civic engagement"- if its about animals it's work related :)

Black piggies

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
My friend who works completely from home is a pharmaceutical industry statistician contractor. Another friend does book editing. My Mum and Aunt paint and sell some pictures. Quite a few school run Mums are self employed - dog walker, sports masseur, occupational coach. A friend of a friend does maths tutoring from home.
I imagine it'd be lovely to work from home. Let us know if you make the switch 😊

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
we love the random music they put on to match whatever they've just said. And if it's a run down house, the presenters start ripping off wallpaper or breaking off pieces of floorboard just to make sure the viewers are clear about that!
This is so true :)

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
I work 40 - 50% and around 80% of that is from home. I do have to do the odd bit of travel, I occasionaly wander through the office so people know I am still alive, and I also work one full week a year at our conference.
I work for a company that organises scientific conferences.

For me personally it isn't always as easy and idyllic as it sounds.
There are some days when it is really (really) hard to sit down at the computer and look at dull files and answer tedious e-mails.
I find myself chatting to the piggies, planning my next sewing project and descaling the kettle...

Overall I really like my job, and I have weekly conference calls with other members of staff - this helps a lot to keep me focused because I have clear goals and a clear time frame in which to achieve them.
In Switzerland school age children come home for lunch every day, so working outside of the home with 2 school age kids was never going to be a possibility for me (at least for a few years) so this fitted in with my lifestyle perfectly.

I love the flexibility it offers, but will admit it isn't for everyone.
It takes a huge amount of discipline and motivation, but if you can make it work I think it is a great option.

Shelley anne

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't work from home but have such a cushy job that I can make my guinea pig stuff at work during the down time. Guinea pig liners, wee pads, tunnels etc all made at work when i'm not busy.

Black piggies

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't work from home but have such a cushy job that I can make my guinea pig stuff at work during the down time. Guinea pig liners, wee pads, tunnels etc all made at work when i'm not busy.
Ooh I'd like your job!