• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Worming

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cobweb

Does everyone worm their pigs regularly because I've seen a big increase in the number of pigs with gastric worm infestations this year. I was taught to worm them twice a year in the Spring and Autumn and I wondered how many more owners did the same.

We started worming our pigs when we took three of our girls down to see Vedra. We have the worming treatment so we can do it ourselves now however in the 7 years I have had piggies, I had never had my piggies wormed!

What wormer do you use and is it only available from the vet? Does this just apply to Guineas that graze outdoors?

I give an oral dose of Ivomec but I know other breeders who use Panacur, which is a sheep worm treatment. You can buy Panacur over the counter from agricultural suppliers such a "Countrywide", it's not expensive and I'm told it's very effective.

In all my years of having piggies, they've never had any seperate wormer, except for the regular dose of Ivomec which is included :)

I went to my vets today to get some Panacur Sheep Wormer. The vet told me to just use the 2.5% Panacur for cats/dogs ? I have some of that at home as I use it for my dogs but am not 100% convinced. She dosed it for me and said to use 0.8ml for 5 days. Rooney weighs 1.352g

Also is there a need for me to worm as I have some Anti-parasite spot ons by Beaphar? Vet said to allow a gap of 3 weeks following the spot-on before worming.

We have got Valbazen. We bought this off Vedra when we went to the CCT.

nope never treated mine for worms but they do get a dose of Ivomec every 6 months, I did once order some natural piggy wormer from the US a white powder you sprinkle on their food but have yet to use it, I guess its down to personal choice,

Broley said:
I went to my vets today to get some Panacur Sheep Wormer. The vet told me to just use the 2.5% Panacur for cats/dogs ? I have some of that at home as I use it for my dogs but am not 100% convinced. She dosed it for me and said to use 0.8ml for 5 days. Rooney weighs 1.352g

Also is there a need for me to worm as I have some Anti-parasite spot ons by Beaphar? Vet said to allow a gap of 3 weeks following the spot-on before worming.

nope, as far as I know that wont work. Because the worms that cats and dogs get (being meat eater) are different from the ones piggies get... Sheeps however, being herbivores aswell, their stuff will do for piggies - obviously a different doe. well thats what I have heard anyway. Correct me if I am wrong.

I didnt know you had to worm piggies, ive only had mine for 4 weeks and learning all the time! :)

They will be 12 weeks old on Wednesday. When is the best time for me to start worming them and what is the best way of doing it? (i soulnd useless)!

question, do you only need to worm piggies if they actuallly go outside?

So, if you have piggies that have a cage and run inside the house (lack of garden) do they even need to be wormed, as they dont get in contact with grass?

kellyandpiggies said:
In all my years of having piggies, they've never had any seperate wormer, except for the regular dose of Ivomec which is included :)

same here, never used anything else but ivomec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back