• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Worming

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chinakit

I am wondering why it is generally recommended that guineas are wormed and 'Ivomec-ed' separately? The active ingredient in Ivomec (ivermectin) is a VERY effective wormer in itself. I know this because I used to have horses and used Eqvalan, a wormer containing ivermectin - it was the BEST wormer on the market!

Ivomec treats both internal and external parasites, so why is it generally recommended that Ivomec is used for external parasites, and Panacur (not as good a wormer as ivermectin) is used for internal ones?

It just seems a little odd to me.

There is also a product on the market called Stronghold. It's a drop on wormer / mite & flea treatment for cats and dogs. The active ingredient in it is selamectin. The cat version is very safe and effective for use in cavies, in fact this is what my own vet uses for guineas suffering with mites.

michellemuffin

Reaction score
I only ivomec my pigs and dont worm as i belive the same as you ivomec, is enough to cover both mites and worms but each of us have different views and each view should be repsected, my vet agrees with us by the way, I think using too many chemicals cant be good for them and reluctantly used Ivomec a few years ago with great results on a pig I took in with selnick mange a breeder told me to use it with great success,

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
michellemuffin said:
I only ivomec my pigs and dont worm as i belive the same as you ivomec, is enough to cover both mites and worms but each of us have different views and each view should be repsected
I agree and use the same :)

Abnoba

Reaction score
just wondering - where I come from noone ever worms their guinea pigs?

I asked on a german gpforum, and everyone was like, uh, no?

If my piggies are always indoors, with their cage and run, and I wash their veg that I get from the supermarket - is there even a big chance theyd get parasites?

I mean sure you can get mites from bad hay etc. But I mean worms and stuff like that.
If your piggie doesnt go out roaming in the garden, is it even necessary to worm them?

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
michellemuffin said:
I only ivomec my pigs and dont worm as i belive the same as you ivomec, is enough to cover both mites and worms but each of us have different views and each view should be repsected, my vet agrees with us by the way, I think using too many chemicals cant be good for them and reluctantly used Ivomec a few years ago with great results on a pig I took in with selnick mange a breeder told me to use it with great success,
How do you use Ivomec as a wormer? Has it got to be administered orally. I've only used ivomec externally for mites.

Kathryn xx

michellemuffin

Reaction score
I use mine externally, drop on their necks, but a little is absorbed into the pig which has been enough to keep my pigs free from worms

C

chinakit

Yes, when applied externally, the Ivomec is absorbed and does kill internal worms. The oral Ivomec works just as well, it's down to personal preference which sort you use.

K

karenrgpr

Ivermectin and Panacur kill different parasites, there is some overlap though. For more info CCT do a lecture on this.

Abnoba

Reaction score
just asking again, as noone has answered to my above post yet - how necessary is it really?

K

karenrgpr

Its a contentious subject and not one I want to be involved in. There are 2 points of view basically, one: By giving your pigs something regularly you are helping them become immune to it and it may be less effective in the future.

2: Pigs need it because like horses etc they are herbivores and so potentially suffer from the same parasite. Parasites aren't just on pastures grazed by animals.

So, you neeed to decide how necessary it is yourself, in my opinion. As I said before more info is available from the CCT.

Abnoba

Reaction score
considering I give my piggies fruit and veg that I would eat myself, from the supermarket - does that mean we are in danger of parasites aswell then? ?

this is a serious question. I mean, I always thought that the veg they sell for people would be quite safe for piggies...

C

chinakit

My opinion is that guineas fed only on veg fit for human consumption that is washed before being given to them, don't actually need worming, and as karenrgpr mentions, over medicating can lead to the wormer becoming less effective over time.

However if your guineas ever have grass, from lawns or meadows, then they probably do pick up a worm burden over time and a twice yearly worming is probably necessary.

However I am of the belief that Ivomec will do the necessary - worming and treating against external parasites. I tend not to believe everything that comes from the CCT; I have 35 years experience with guineas and make my own mind up. The CCT is a helpful and useful resource but not the Gospel many believe it to be. This is just my opinion, don't mean to offend anyone.

K

karenrgpr

The other consideration is hay, if it is cut too close to the soil (where the parasites are) then that is a 'danger'. But how long the parasites can survive would vary depending on how damp the soil/hay is.

michellemuffin

Reaction score
chinakit said:
My opinion is that guineas fed only on veg fit for human consumption that is washed before being given to them, don't actually need worming, and as karenrgpr mentions, over medicating can lead to the wormer becoming less effective over time.

However if your guineas ever have grass, from lawns or meadows, then they probably do pick up a worm burden over time and a twice yearly worming is probably necessary.

However I am of the belief that Ivomec will do the necessary - worming and treating against external parasites. I tend not to believe everything that comes from the CCT; I have 35 years experience with guineas and make my own mind up. The CCT is a helpful and useful resource but not the Gospel many believe it to be. This is just my opinion, don't mean to offend anyone.
I agree with you I have over 30 years experience as well and like to do things that have been proved right for me time after time, but agree the CCT is a useful and necessary resource, all advice can be given and is very welcomed, but we are the only ones who can chose whether or not to take it, and should'nt be thought any less of if we dont take the advice given, ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.