• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Worried about Alfie

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cavykind

This evening when I checked one of our long term rescue boys, I noticed that he looked a Little swollen under his chin, on examination I found a soft swelling, not exactly a lump. Checking him over, he's also got slightly swollen glands behind his front legs.
He's bright in himself, no change in his behaviour and sitting by me munching "simply grass", cucumber and beetroot.

Obviously I have made an appointment for him at the vet for tomorrow, but I have a bad feeling :-\
We lost another guinea pig to lymphoma years ago and this is how it started...I pray I am wrong.

Please keep Alfie in your thoughts and wish him well. He came to us via our vet, when Alfie was found wandering the streets and handed in by a client. You can see him on our site, under rescue stories (I think).

Barbara

Awww had a look at Alfie... wishing you both well for tommorow. Lets hope it is not what you are thinking. Fingers and toes crossed

maybe its just an abcess a few of my pigs have had swellings under the chin area and they turned out to be abcess evil things but curable, keeping fingers and toes crossed for you,

Fingers crossed for you both!

Good luck with Alfie. One of mine also had a lump under her chin and I thought the worst, but it was all OK in the end. Hope everything turns out well. A good sign that he's eating.

Good luck

He sounds like a special little fella indeed

Found wandering the streets? Poor little chap. If he was put there deliberately then I am appalled

Keep us updated

Awww good luck Alfie, hope he's ok

Kathryn xx

Poor Alfie.

I suspect it's a cold abscess. scarby had that in January.

Lots of good luck to you and him xx

Thank you everyone, have an appointment at vets this evening, will let you know what happens. Unfortunately the vet i wanted to see is out on an emergency call :-\ But that can't be helped. Alfie is bright and has just been sampling some hay that arrived this afternoon from the "Hay Experts" :)

Barbara

Update on Alfie:

Vet said that he wasn't sure what the problem is, doesn't think there is an abscess, but lymph nodes are swollen. Could be due to an infection, Alfie has a bit of a runny nose today. Said it could also be something more sinister. Has given an injection of anti-inflammatory and I have Baytril to give. If no improvement, take him back.
Has suggested if things don't resolve themselves, we can consider biopsies, but I'll see how things go :-\

The vet nurse and receptionist made a big fuss of Alfie as they cared for him when he was handed in as a stray, he enjoyed that bless him :)

Barbara

Hope he's soon on the mend. Glad they made a fuss of him, must be so scary for any animal going into the vet.

Poor Alfie, and you Barbara.

Could they put in a needle and see what they can draw out - pus, blood, etc?
Still if it's not an abscess there's probably not much point.

Big hugs xx

Lucinda said:
Poor Alfie, and you Barbara.

Could they put in a needle and see what they can draw out - pus, blood, etc?
Still if it's not an abscess there's probably not much point.

Big hugs xx

Hi Lucinda,
Yes in theory I suppose they could try, but there isn't really a definite lump under the chin, more a soft, undefined swelling. I was back at the vets this morning ::) with one of my dogs, who has had me up most of the night with colitis.
Spoke to the vet I'd hoped to see yesterday and he feels that the swellings behind the front legs are almost definitely lymph glands. He's happy to wait and see what happens re the antibiotic therapy, before we do anything else. Obviously wants to see him asap if things deteriorate.

Alfie is bright this morning, so at least he must be feeling okayish :)
Thank's everyone for your thoughts!

Barbara

cavykind said:
Alfie is bright this morning, so at least he must be feeling okayish :)
Thank's everyone for your thoughts!

Barbara

That's something, at least you know he may not be in pain or that it bothers him :)

thinking of you and alfie. hope everything turns out ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back