• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Would You Buy These As A Christmas Gift?

TheLottiediarys

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I work in a bookshop/own, its a little market stall that ive set up this year.

I've been thinking about Christmas and I'd like to put together some 'Blind Date With a Book's
I was thinking of using plain brown paper, some string and simple label tags (like on Christmas presents).
I'll write a couple of lines about the book like, say the book is 'The Hobbit':

'Fantasy.
A famous author.
An adventure.'

Or something along those lines.

Now,
I was hoping some of you could let me know if this is the kind of thing you'd buy for a family member, friend, work colleagues ect.
I was thinking about Secret Santa's and such.
And how much would you pay for something like that?
:) :) :)

Hi guys,

I've been thinking about Christmas and I'd like to put together some 'Blind Date With a Book's
I was thinking of using plain brown paper, some string and simple label tags (like on Christmas presents).

'Fantasy.
A famous author.
An adventure.'

Now,
I was hoping some of you could let me know if this is the kind of thing you'd buy for a family member, friend, work colleagues ect.
Hiya. I think this sounds like a great idea. I love reading and trying different novels and books, but I would prefer to know who the author was before I purchased the book. Sorry if I sound like an old fuddy duddy :hmm: Also maybe a note if the book was fiction or non fiction. I guess anything from a fiver upwards. Hope this helps :D xx

I love the idea to surprise myself with a book. Yet, as an avid reader, to be completely honest, I'd refrain from purchasing an unknown book. Chances are, I've already read it.

If it's only for really new releases, then it may be a good idea. But the vast majority of fantasy-readers will have already read The Hobbit, I believe.

I also think it's a wonderful idea, and I would love something like that.
For me author would not be so important, but genre and a few lines of description would be perfect.
The other thing you could add would be it's star rating on Amazon, or 1 line from a favorable review - I am a sucker for interesting reviews :roll:
I would happily pay 8 - 10 pounds for something like that, particularly if one side of the gift tag was left blank. It means I don't have to wrap anything!

Hiya. I think this sounds like a great idea. I love reading and trying different novels and books, but I would prefer to know who the author was before I purchased the book. Sorry if I sound like an old fuddy duddy :hmm: Also maybe a note if the book was fiction or non fiction. I guess anything from a fiver upwards. Hope this helps :D xx

i would find this very helpful,also the author and whether it is non fiction/or fiction would be a great addition to the information.i agree with @Hoppity.K .i would love to recieve a present like this,with it all wrapped up,with an element of surprise.

I love the idea to surprise myself with a book. Yet, as an avid reader, to be completely honest, I'd refrain from purchasing an unknown book. Chances are, I've already read it.

If it's only for really new releases, then it may be a good idea. But the vast majority of fantasy-readers will have already read The Hobbit, I believe.

I also think it's a wonderful idea, and I would love something like that.
For me author would not be so important, but genre and a few lines of description would be perfect.
The other thing you could add would be it's star rating on Amazon, or 1 line from a favorable review - I am a sucker for interesting reviews :roll:
I would happily pay 8 - 10 pounds for something like that, particularly if one side of the gift tag was left blank. It means I don't have to wrap anything!

These are some great ideas guys! :)

I get why people would rather know the author but the point is its suppose to be a suprise :( :( hmm
I'll have to think about that one...
Maybe some have the author on them and others won't :)

I too would be worried about getting a book i already own, so I was contemplating how to get around that with it still being a suprise, so I guess a good but also vague description with the genre and author would work :)

I was thinking somewhere around £5 for it, but I guess I can set up a display and play by ear how people want to pay :)

I too would be worried about getting a book i already own, so I was contemplating how to get around that with it still being a suprise, so I guess a good but also vague description with the genre and author would work :)

Why don't you try not-so-popular titles or authors? Or new books (I think there are a lot of new releases around Christmas anyway).

Or maybe you could add a small excerpt of a book, so if one has read it, they can move on, BUT if someone hasn't read it, it would still be a surprise.

maybe offer a return and swap service if someone recieves a book that is already in their collection at home .where are you based? i would not mind having a browse ! x

Yes I had thought of that too
Adding a little note in the parcel that let's people know they can exchange the book if they already own it :)

I'm in Derby :)
Derby market hall :)
Stall 86 ;)

You all say if you have read it, you wouldn't like to read it again. For instance I have read all the series of Harry Potter 3 times & I would still read it again.
I think the whole idea is marketing.
Hi guys,

'Fantasy.
A famous author.
An adventure.'

Now,

I don't know if this classes as a raffle or not. Because if it is you are only allowed to take in the amount the book or books cost. I.e. If the book you give is worth £20, you can only take in £20 don't want to rain on your parade. That's what it used to be anyway. Don't want them carting you off in a Black Maria. Lol you may get some advice from citizens advice. I'm sure it will be fine.

You all say if you have read it, you wouldn't like to read it again. For instance I have read all the series of Harry Potter 3 times & I would still read it again.
I think the whole idea is marketing.

I don't know if this classes as a raffle or not. Because if it is you are only allowed to take in the amount the book or books cost. I.e. If the book you give is worth £20, you can only take in £20 don't want to rain on your parade. That's what it used to be anyway. Don't want them carting you off in a Black Maria. Lol you may get some advice from citizens advice. I'm sure it will be fine.

Good point I will have to check that! :)

I think it's a very interesting idea, would you be able to talk to people for a while? Although I kind of hate surprises it does sound exciting to talk to someone, tell them what books you (or the person you're buying for) enjoy, favourite books, genres, characters etc and then be matched up with a mystery book.

For that to work I guess you'd need to know what was in each mystery parcel and go by instinct. Eg: I like fantasy, great imagery, exploring a whole world and getting lost in childlike fun and adventure... Harry Potter & Narnia type books might be the answer so you could suggest that mystery book for them. It would lessen the chance of disappointment.

The book trading is a fab idea, it may also result in repeat business should they come back in the new year and see something else they want. I would hate to get the same book again but would be happier knowing I could swap.

I don't know if any of that is helpful, but most my jobs in retail have been talking about people's needs and suggesting things to make their lives better with the knowledge of products I've learnt. It may be applicable in this situation but it may not I guess :)

I think it's a very interesting idea, would you be able to talk to people for a while? Although I kind of hate surprises it does sound exciting to talk to someone, tell them what books you (or the person you're buying for) enjoy, favourite books, genres, characters etc and then be matched up with a mystery book.

For that to work I guess you'd need to know what was in each mystery parcel and go by instinct. Eg: I like fantasy, great imagery, exploring a whole world and getting lost in childlike fun and adventure... Harry Potter & Narnia type books might be the answer so you could suggest that mystery book for them. It would lessen the chance of disappointment.

The book trading is a fab idea, it may also result in repeat business should they come back in the new year and see something else they want. I would hate to get the same book again but would be happier knowing I could swap.

I don't know if any of that is helpful, but most my jobs in retail have been talking about people's needs and suggesting things to make their lives better with the knowledge of products I've learnt. It may be applicable in this situation but it may not I guess :)

Your fine, I'm happy everyone is suggesting ideas and improvements because that's why I wanted to ask you guys in the first place,
So you could all be my hypothetical buying customers and I could get a feel of what people think :)
I never would have thought to add in a 'swap' card to the package without you guys and I know how people feel about knowing or not knowing the authors too :)

I like you idea of a book matchmaker, I think that would be great for christmas because then you, as the customer, don't have to do much work, just chat to me about what you want, maybe give a few no-no's and I give you a read wrapped book from my selection :)

One of our local chain high street stores does this. It's a fun idea. They seem to just charge roughly the cover price (although they may be discounted slightly as chain store books often are).

It's not a raffle, you are exchanging cash for a product. A raffle is exchanging cash for the possibility of a product.

I'd say go for it. Get a selection of books you would charge the same price for and wrap them. Worst case scenario, they don't sell so you unwrap them and never mention it again! All you've lost is some brown paper and string!

Well I'm only in if you do Harry Potter, I think I would be a good customer because I love so many authors.
Maybe you should do books in kindle form as well, if you can. I'd find it odd if i had to read a hard copy now!

I think adding the authors name completely spoils th3 surprise, also with some authors it would seriously narrow down what the title might be and ruin the surprise further.

For example if someone handed me a wrapped book and said “Frank Herbert” then it’s one of the Dune saga for sure.

I love this idea and would buy for someone (and enjoy receiving).

I don’t mind not having the author not on it but fiction or non-fiction or genre would be helpful.

Back