WOW!

teddymouse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Emptying my big compost bin ,and came across what l thought were small mushrooms, dug them out then,l realise what they were,they soft,white,elongated and the size of a blackbirds egg, 21 all together, their grass snakes eggs. Have put atup filled with the compost and put them into it,hoping they can hatch, the eggs are fertilise and alive.have hear back from the wildlife trust, and they said l have done the right thing for them. In my lifetime I have seen snakes eggs in captivity but never in the wild. I didn't know l had them in my gardens, the trust said it must be a good size to have that many eggs.

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
How exciting! Hope they hatch! I love grass snakes, how brilliant they’re happily laying away in your garden :D

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Oh lucky you! How wonderful, do you have a big garden? You often find grass snakes near ponds. I once saw a very large grass snake while fishing many years ago with my son. Seen plenty of adders over the years where my caravan was sited in Galloway, mainly on the road squashed and a few in the sand dunes too

Angle

_
Reaction score
I'm in Australia, and contrary to the stereotype, no - I do not find snakes in my toilet every Summer. I love snakes though and think they're sooo cute. But unfortunately, the stereotypes about spiders IS true. spiders the size of your hand do exist and are common where I'm from.

GPTV

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Aww how lovely, I've only seen one grass snake in my garden once in the ten or so yrs I've been living here.

I do get loads of slow worms-I'm often moving them when I mow the lawn, I find babies regularly, but I've never seen eggs.
That's amazing! :luv: x

Here's three baby slow worms (actually lizards with no legs) that were in my garden in May. All of them were about 4 inches long so only dinky :)
The end of my index finger for comparison in the 3rd photo.

This one was by my shed
_20200709_095051.JPG

These two were hiding by the pond
_20200709_095153.JPG

_20200709_095257.JPG

_20200709_095335.JPG

A neighbours spaniel dog was bitten by an Adder in the woods a fortnight ago.. We're steering clear of there now! :yikes:

Last edited:

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Aww how lovely, I've only seen one grass snake in my garden once in the ten or so yrs I've been living here.

I do get loads of slow worms-I'm often moving them when I mow the lawn, I find babies regularly, but I've never seen eggs.
That's amazing! :luv: x

Here's three baby slow worms (actually lizards with no legs) that were in my garden in May. All of them were about 4 inches long so only dinky :)
The end of my index finger for comparison in the 3rd photo.

This one was by my shed
View attachment 147655

These two were hiding by the pond
View attachment 147656

View attachment 147657

View attachment 147658

A neighbours spaniel dog was bitten by an Adder in the woods a fortnight ago.. We're steering clear of there now! :yikes:
:love: I’ve always wanted to see one in the wild but never have! Lovely beasties! :love: