You know you love your piggies when ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I thought it might be good to share stories of the lengths we go to for our piggies and start it off with this, hopefully, interesting story about the time Beano escaped.

In the summer we take the top of the cage out in the garden and let the piggies enjoy a bit of sun and grass. It's like having an environmentally friendly lawn mower!

One summer's afternoon we were sitting out there with them. I popped in the house for a drink and was just watching the TV when I heard my partner calling to Beano. At first he just seemed to be talking normally to her, then his calls got louder and there was panick in his voice, then he yelled for me to come quick.

I ran out of the house and discovered she'd somehow escaped and run off into the bushes. And not just any bushes but ones two foot deep and made up of three different types of very prickly plants - one with big thorns, one with small but very sharp spikes and one with extremely fine bristles that are just as painful :...

Panick set in as soon as I saw her as I knew there were gaps in the fence and if we didn't get her quickly she could get into my neighbours garden with their big labrador. Worse still, she could get out into the street and I didn't want to even think about what would happen to her then but I knew we'd never see her again :... :...

I needed to get her as soon as I could but I'd only got a vest top on - not the best clothing for messing with with thorns and spikes! With hindsight I would've grabbed a cardigan on the way out but by this point I daren't leave her to go and fetch one.

We had managed to contain her into one area - my partner was at one end with the broom handle, the first thing he could find, and I was at the other (the neighbours must've thought we'd gone mad, we were shouting and swearing so much!):red

I knew that if I tried to reach her my bare arms would be torn to shreds but in the end I thought 'if I get hurt I'll heal, if she get hurts it'll be a lot lot worse'. So, with that in mind I took a deep breath and plunged my arms into the prickly bushes. I could see her just sitting there, looking at me and wondering what all the fuss was about! I grabbed her and she slithered out of my grip. I reached forward again and caught her and this time I held on to her so tightly. Then I had to try and get her back through the bushes without her getting hurt.

Once she was out I held her so close and didn't want to ever let her go. It was such a relief to know she was safe! I really thought we were going to lose her.

My adrenalin must've been working overtime because I didn't really feel any pain while rescuing her but once she was safely back in her cage I realised my arms were dripping with blood and covered in cuts - I looked like I'd taken a razor blade to my arms! My partner hadn't had a top on and he looked like he was trying to copy Iggy Pop with cuts and blood all over his chest:))

I ended up having to wear long sleeves in the hot weather for weeks to cover all the cuts and had to explain what had happened to my new employers and colleagues in case they thought I'd intentionally cut my arms to pieces!

But it was totally worth it to know she was safe. I've now covered all the gaps in the fence and I always make sure I have a sensible top to hand when I take them out there:)

katiepops

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My goodness, so pleased it had a happy ending.
I remember something similar when I was a child and we had the piggies in the garden and one of them wriggled away from my mum when she was picking her up out of the run. She went running off under the rose bushes. My poor mum had to go after her and get her out. She suffer a few cuts but thankfully both of them were ok.
First time I ever heard my mum swear! :))

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Awww I'm glad it was a happy ending :)

My OH and I had a similar story with Artie and Harvey, when they were both nine weeks old, we decided it was time for them to explore the great outdoors...using my OH old rabbit run, we put the boys in and left them exploring, until that was next doors dog barked nonestop...the boys ran scarce and found a tiny hole in the run and escaped to the wild patch we have in our garden.

Now the wild patch has a pond, and lots of wild plants, including nettles! I managed to get Harvey, however my OH had the unfortant task of removing Artie from the nettles! :( He eventually got him out but his arms and neck (!) were swollen for days ooops :)

We have since that day, got them a new run! haah! :))

Tommies Mam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Your not bothered by your guinea pig walking into the bathroom while you're sat on the loo

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Your not bothered by your guinea pig walking into the bathroom while you're sat on the loo

You're not REALLY bothered when it's the UPSTAIRS loo and your piggy jumps up the stairs to sit in front you sitting on loo and clearly wonder why humans can't do these things in a normal way! Then she proceeds to lever out the toilet brush to catch up on the human news... :))

Minx definitely lived up to her name!

torieraa

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ha ha, I love the loo stories.

I have a salt lamp which I keep on constantly by the piggies cages. Last December we went to Poland and visited a salt mine and were told how the horses who worked in the mine had really long healthy lives as did the miners and this was because of the salt in the atmosphere or something like that.

So I have the lamp running all the time by the pigs in the hope that my boys will have a long healthy and happy life!

Farquhar

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

:(|) My Montgomery regularly wanders into the bathroom. He loves coming in when I'm having a bath and rolls around on the towel..

Reaction score
I remember a few weeks ago when one of my young pigs called Arnie went missing from the cage. I woke up to check on my boys like normal, only to realise there was a piggie missing!

I was hysterical, looked absolutely everywhere! Went back into the Guinea pig's room and looked again; I seen a little head pop out of a cat carrier next to the cage only to realise it was Arnie! The little buggar!

Never felt so relieved in my life! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.