• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Your thoughts please on boars behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I introduced Lennie (6 months) and Timmy (6 weeks) a few days ago and it is not going too bad so far. You may have read my other post about Timmy mounting Lennie etc. Now, whenever Timmy goes near Lennie, Lennie makes this low grumbling sound and walks slowly very close to the ground. I noticed a while ago that Lennie was pushing Timmy in the rump with his nose, as if he was shooing him in front of him. Sometimes they sit side by side with no noises, then they circle eachother with Timmy wheeking and Lennie grumbling loudly, it's a "I'm annoyed" type of sound I think! Has anyone elses boars behaved like this and is it good, bad or indifferent?! :-\

mine have..if they arent fighting and drawing blood/causing wounds then everything is fine, my boys are 5 months old and they still rumble a little and i get the occasional teeth chattering and squaring upto each other..its just boys being boys, as long as they arent really going for each other, dont wory

I am not too worried at the moment, more curious as to the stange noises and behaviour and what they mean! It's fascinating ::)

My piggies are exactly the same at the moment, and I was wondering the same thing, and weather I should just leave them to it, but I also worry, that one of them is going to get hurt.

your boys are acting perfectly normal its called whos going to be boss and once the younger accepts Lennie being the older as boss this behaviour will stop mind you you will find they get the occasional grumble between them as Timmy gets older and becomes a jeuvenile he will again try to assert his authority and want to be boss pig alpha male what ever you want to call it, if for any reason blood is drawn this means its gone too far so make sure you are ever watchful once they settle things get calmer then its not so bad but until boss pig is established please keep an eye out and never ever put your hand between fighting pigs throw a t towel over one of them, I did it once years ago and still have the scar,

I don't think it occurs to many people, but if the cage they're in is too small, then they may also fight over not enough space.

Sounds normal as people have said. They are just sorting out who is boss. They should settle down but then there may well be more as the baby gets to 3 months ish. Hopefully they will be able to settle things without getting into fights. Always wise to keep a close eye on boars who are doing this, checking fur/skin for signs of bites etc which could indicate serious agression and the need to seperate.

nice to hear this as this has elped me learn, (note down on paper) O0

Keep an eye on them and they should be fine. My boars did this for about 1 1/2 months so they are currently seperated but living side by side. We are doing intros in floor time and lap time at the moment though in hope that they'll live together again. In the end I seperated them when I saw Pepper open his mouth sooooo wide to bite Beauty.

We got our 2nd boar Jeremy on 6th March and are still keeping them side by side, not together at the moment. At play time Tiger rumbles and sometimes they seem to go for each other, but there has not been any biting. They also settle down quite happily on a towel or a fleece, so I am a bit stumped at the moment, I don't know if they have established boss pig yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back