• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

C&C dog proof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby&Frankie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Basically i need new winter housing for my two boys as they chewed a hole in their trixie pen they were in last year.

I was looking at a ferplast 120 or a nero 4 (prefer ferplast as i already have some houses).
I've only got about 120cm length and about 90cm out (absolute max as it will block the room) which got me thinking about C&C cages.

I have found a uk seller on ebay/amazon and have room for a 3x2 with a 1x2 loft which won't take over the room (in the trixie pen the dog's basket had to go into storage but luckily she doesn't use it much).

Would you trust a C&C cage with a dog?

I don't believe she will try and get in, with the trixie cage she just watched them when they were squeaking or came up to the side to see her

How secure are the roofs? (I won't be getting one without).

I just love the idea of C&C and i will hopfully be moving out in a few years so can expand.

If i need to i will get a 120 and give them more lap time, i do bring them in to watch their favourite shows (Frankie loves TNA and Bobby loves Spongebob and the simpsons).

If the C&C is not strong enough, do you think they will be ok in a Ferplast 100 over night (it will be from about 11pm- 6am) - they haven't been in the cage since they were babies either.

Thanks in advance :-)

I have just measured, i can just about fit a 140 cage as long as it's not more than 60/61cm deep (TV stand - but i may be able to nudge it a little without people noticing)?

I have a C&C and four dogs - if they are put together right they can be very sturdy and there are always ways to secure them shut too.

Completely depends on the dog to be honest. It would be up to you. I personally trust my dog with my piggies however would never take any chances so the piggies live upstairs where the dog isnt allowed. He gets plenty of interaction with them daily.

x

Thank you both for replying, i may not risk it then as she does have a bit of a drive in her.

I'm probably going to get a savic nero 4 or ferplast 140 (just price of the large one is a little steep)

The cheapest I found a Ferplast 140 was (( Pets At Home )) - I have this cage for my guinea pigs and I've been really pleased with it.

It now houses my Syrian hamster (I've meshed it!) because I had a piggy give birth unexpectedly so my piggy numbers went from 2 to 5 overnight lol so I now have a C&C for them but I was very happy with the Ferplast.

Regarding dogs - it's a similar story here really. Teddy and Whisper are great with them though always supervised of course but they do live upstairs. However I'd be quite happy to have had them in a Ferplast cage downstairs so long as it wasn't on the floor or anything with them.

I don't have terriers though and avoided dogs with high prey drive because of the small animals I have. When my friends' Westie came over recently he was obsessed with my Spiny Mice cage and when we dog-sit for him soon the mice will be moved upstairs out of the way!

The cheapest I found a Ferplast 140 was (( Pets At Home )) - I have this cage for my guinea pigs and I've been really pleased with it.

It now houses my Syrian hamster (I've meshed it!) because I had a piggy give birth unexpectedly so my piggy numbers went from 2 to 5 overnight lol so I now have a C&C for them but I was very happy with the Ferplast.

Regarding dogs - it's a similar story here really. Teddy and Whisper are great with them though always supervised of course but they do live upstairs. However I'd be quite happy to have had them in a Ferplast cage downstairs so long as it wasn't on the floor or anything with them.

I don't have terriers though and avoided dogs with high prey drive because of the small animals I have. When my friends' Westie came over recently he was obsessed with my Spiny Mice cage and when we dog-sit for him soon the mice will be moved upstairs out of the way!

Thank you, that's also the cheapest i found (can't afford it for a month either). We got her before the small animals (had her nearly 12 yrs), she is fine when there's people in the room but she's a cheeky one and knows when she's not being watched. When the piggies are out she watches them out of the corner of her eye as though she's being tempted, i don't think she would go for them but it's that slight doubt stopping me.

Obviously not nice to think about but she has only got a few years left so may get a C&C when i move out/she passes.

I have the Ferplast 100 as said before and don't think it's a sturdy as a Savic (i have the sky metro for my hamster) or is that just the bar spacing/size of them? I've taken pics of the space they would take up and i'm definately leaning towards the 140 as there does seem to be much more space in it.
(If i can and all goes well with the space it takes up etc. I may try and keep them in longer if not full time - last year they came in Nov-Apr)

We've only had our dogs for a couple of years. xx

What I like about the Ferplast 140 is the space in it from front-to-back as it has plenty of space that way as well as the length. When comparing cages I found some of the 120 cages weren't anywhere near as big this way on though length-wise there was only 20cm in it the lack of 'depth' to the cages made a big difference to the available space.

I don't think any cage would be able to stand up to a dog if they were very determined, to be honest.

I have cats and my pigs are in a C&C cage and though the cages can be covered the general rule in the flat is to not let the guinea pigs and cats in the same room unless supervised.

Good luck with your new cage! I'm sure you'll pick one which works for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back