• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea pig fight

Melvwal

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
I’ve got 2 male Guinea pigs , they fight probably twice a week but not too bad . This week the more dominant Guinea pig bit the other one 6 times on his rear , making him bleed . He needs antibiotic wash for a week . Am I able to put them back together once his bites heal ? They are 2 in May , not related.

I’m sorry to hear this.

After a fight and injury has been caused, it is unlikely they will be prepared to go back together. An actual fight is indicative that there are problems in their relationship and that their bond is sadly over.
Well bonded piggies will have dominance displays (things such as chasing, mounting and rumbling) and is a normal part of maintaining a hierarchy and relationship, but never physical fights.

They will most likely need to be kept in separate cages from now onwards, and not have any physical sharing of space.
A cage of a minimum of 120x60cm for each piggy is needed. Their cages will need to be side by side so they can interact between the bars so they don’t get lonely.

Bonds In Trouble
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

I’m sorry to hear this.

After a fight and injury has been caused, it is unlikely they will be prepared to go back together. An actual fight is indicative that there are problems in their relationship and that their bond is sadly over.
Well bonded piggies will have dominance displays (things such as chasing, mounting and rumbling) and is a normal part of maintaining a hierarchy and relationship, but never physical fights.

They will most likely need to be kept in separate cages from now onwards, and not have any physical sharing of space.
A cage of a minimum of 120x60cm for each piggy is needed. Their cages will need to be side by side so they can interact between the bars so they don’t get lonely.

Bonds In Trouble
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Many thanks for your reply .

I have two boys that lived happily together for 2 years then had a full on fight and have lived contentedly side by side for nearly 2 years. They interact fairly constantly through the bars, when they're not sleeping or eating!

Back