• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New Guinea pig is sneezing snot is she sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi there,

I bought two baby female guinea pig today from the petshop and they are so sweet and calm. However, one of them has sneezed a few time this evening and on one occasion snot came out. Is she sick? I am worried about her.

Thanks for your input.

Hi
I had the same with 2 i had got from a pet shop. Sneezing and seemed generally unwell.
Please take them to the vets, mine needed treatment. Its not always something, but better to be safe than sorry.
any reputable pet store will cover the cost if it is something they had when you got them as they are meant to be checked by a vet before being sold (thats what a popular pet store told me and they did cover the cost)
hope they are ok, and congratulations on your new furbabies
tori x

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Please take your piggies to the vet for a health check ASAP - sneezing and snot are not normal, neither is being calm when fresh from a petshop.

Guinea pigs from bulk breeders for petshops can be in contact with other ill pigs that don't make it to the shop floor, it's very important that they are seen quickly as pigs can deteriorate fast and mucus is a very bad sign.

HTH

Suzy

Well they are not really calm, they run around a lot and don't want to be picked up but once we have them on our laps they settled down really nicely. She is still sneezing but I have not seen any more snot. the snot happened once only when she had a big sneeze! I have touched her nose a few times and it was dry, so fingers crossed but I will call the shop today and speak to my friend who is a vet.

Thanks for your help.

HI and welcome :)
I really think you should get your piggie seen to.........i know you've said no more 'snot' PHEW! but the fact that it's already happened means there's something not quite right :(
I wish you good luck for the little one, if it's URI that piggie needs treatment now.
Thanks to both Tori and Suzi for the advice they've given you :)
Hope to see pics of them both soon x)

Glynis, Velvet and Onyx x

I would still have them checked by a vet. URI (upper respiratory tract infection) spreads quickly amongst stressed animals and can kill fast; it's not an illness that you can take lightly. Better safe than sorry!

Dusty hay can cause sneezing, too, but you want to make sure that it is nothing more serious than that.

http://www.guinealynx.info/uri.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back