• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Nutmeg and Peppa's babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoghig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Finally got round to weighing them all and taking a few photos. Here are the four of them all together:

The little one on the left is Peppa's baby, she weighs 69g
The little brown one with the white nose is the biggest and is another little girl weighing 83g
The little grey one (my hubby has claimed him as his!) is a little boy (I think, need to double check!) and is the smallest weighing only 47g
The black and ginger one is another little girl weighing 81g

Here is Peppa's little girl in better light, you can see her colouring better here (sorry taking these on my phone, so awful pics!):

Nutmeg and her babies, taken yesterday when she was still a bit out of it (one of them was feeding):

Nutmegs babies exploring already:

In case you haven't seen who Peppa is, here she is (another awful photo). She is my blind piggy, I put them in the carry case just to clean her hutch out:

They all seem to be doing well...I am keeping a close eye on Peppa, little baby seems to be suckling, but I'm still not 100% sure...anyone with any advice for a blind piggy with a baby? I do have a thread in the pregnancy section with this.

thanks a lot!
Katie

What a shock to have Peppa pregnant also! Glad to see moms and babies doing well.

Gosh what a lot of surprises for you! I am pleased they are all well.

Aww, they're all beautiful. Bless them. Hope they all continue to thrive. :) Have sent you a pm :)

how much weight should the babies be gaining per day, Peppa's little one, now named Popcorn has gained 6 grams since yesterday whereas the other three haven't gained any as yet. I am just a little bit concerned about the tiny grey one (named Bounce by the hubby as he says he will bounce back from being the smallest, lol!) he is only 47g and so much smaller than the other two, I am just concerned that he may not get the milk he needs as the other two are much bigger than him.

Thanks

I think (please someone correct me if i am wrong) but i would step in with the smaller ones and top them up with food, sometimes it can take a while for the milk to come through and the bigger ones might be pushing the smaller ones out of the way, (maybe remove the bigger ones for a few mins to give the little one a chance. But 47g is really really tiny and without some help i fear the worst. Good luck to you, mum's and babies xx

Have a read through the guinealynx page about handfeeding pups http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html#pups it has useful advice about expected weight gain in new pups & a weight chart that might be helpful to have a look at. There are also some tips about suitable first foods to offer to pups to help get a bit of weight on the runty ones.

The babies are all beautiful, I hope mums are doing well too :)

thank you! I have been taking the other two out a couple of times a day, but mum is getting stressed as they are calling for her. I think I will try again and take them to a different room and close the door so hopefully she can't hear them.

Thank you for the link, it is brilliant! It also shows me just how tiny 47g is when I compare it to what their baby guineas weighed! Should I give him some extra food? It says on guinea lynxx a pellet mash, would that be their normal pellets mixed with water so its easy for them to eat? Sorry about questions, just want to give the little one the best chance possible! It also mentions butternut squash baby food? do we have that in the UK? If not what other baby foods do you think might be good? Really appreciate any advice at all!
Both mums seem to be doing a brilliant job! Nutmeg is amazing, especially as she's just had a c section and Peppa seems to be coping well as well! I think Pip is helping Peppa keep little Popcorn warm and seems to be cleaning her when she comes near him :-)

Thanks again!

Your little boy is rather small and will need regular one-on-one time with mummy to get plenty of milk.

Please be VERY careful with syringe feeding - any drop that goes the wrong way into the lungs can cause an infection in a little baby and kill. If he is eating, better serve a shallow dish with mushed pellets for topping up the pups.

Weigh your babies daily until the end of the nursing period and leave the little boy with mum and sisters until he is 250g. (Nothing will happen below that weight, but he needs all the milk from mummy he can get!)

Just to encourage you, I took in a pregnant pig who had 3 babies. They all weighed 40 to 50g. They all thrived and are a year and a half old now.
I hope all yours do well. I am following your threads with interest.

Babies will start putting on weight from day 2-3. Until then they stay the same or can even lose a little bit of weight.

Mashed pellets is their usual pellets (not muesli, obviously) mixed with a bit of water. It makes it easier to nibble on with the little babies.

Thank you! Would feeding on a teaspoon work? He is on his own with his mum at the moment, he is underneath her and looks like he's feeding. Do I just add water to the pellets to mash them up? Sorry it may seem like a dumb question but just wanted to check.
Thanks ChrisU that's really good to know that they can get through from this weight! Did you do anything to help them through?
Thanks!
Katie

I wouldn't stuff the baby; he will catch up eventually over the next few weeks and months. Rather offer him little bits often, he has a tiny tummy! You can use a spoon rather than a syringe, it is safer.

Just having drinking time with mummy on his own a few times a day will go a long way - that is the best nourishment and protection againt illness you can give him.

I've answered the pellet question in my previous post, parallel to yours.

Did you do anything to help them through?

I didn't do anything extra with my little babies, except leave plenty of food for Mum. I noticed the babies eating ordinary food and greens almost right away.
However, my babies were all small so all had an equal chance at the milk-bar, and maybe were actually a normal weight for their Mum.

Thought I'd give an update...

The Piggies are now 3 days old and they all have names now :-) from left to right in the first picture we have...Popcorn, Caramel, Bounce and Toffee.

Any doubts I had about whether or not Peppa was feeding Popcorn are gone...she's gone from 69g on day one to 75g on day three and seems really happy, she was the first one we saw popcorning (hense the name!)
Caramel went from 83g down to 80 on day 2 and today she was back up to 83g
Toffee was 81g on day one and has steadily gained 2g per day, she is now 85g
And Bounce is up to 49g.

I'm giving Bounce alone time with Mum three times a day for about 15minutes at a time, he does seem strong though, even when the other two are with him he is often the one feeding.

Nutmeg is getting much more used to us...she's already learnt what the fridge door means and has started demanding veggies whenever we go in there, even though her bowl is full! she has even taken a couple of bits of cucumber out of hubby's hand! Before she would have bolted at the site of us.

All the babies are experimenting with dried food/hay and veggies, its so cute to watch them attempt to tackle a piece of hay :-)

Anyways...like I said, just thought I'd give an update

Thanks again for all advice/help

katie

Thought I'd give an update...

The Piggies are now 3 days old and they all have names now :-) from left to right in the first picture we have...Popcorn, Caramel, Bounce and Toffee.

Any doubts I had about whether or not Peppa was feeding Popcorn are gone...she's gone from 69g on day one to 75g on day three and seems really happy, she was the first one we saw popcorning (hense the name!)
Caramel went from 83g down to 80 on day 2 and today she was back up to 83g
Toffee was 81g on day one and has steadily gained 2g per day, she is now 85g
And Bounce is up to 49g.

I'm giving Bounce alone time with Mum three times a day for about 15minutes at a time, he does seem strong though, even when the other two are with him he is often the one feeding.

Nutmeg is getting much more used to us...she's already learnt what the fridge door means and has started demanding veggies whenever we go in there, even though her bowl is full! she has even taken a couple of bits of cucumber out of hubby's hand! Before she would have bolted at the site of us.

All the babies are experimenting with dried food/hay and veggies, its so cute to watch them attempt to tackle a piece of hay :-)

Anyways...like I said, just thought I'd give an update

Thanks again for all advice/help

katie

Great news! Things seem to go in the right direction. The little ones should start to put on weight with every day now and you should see lots of baby poos...

Great to hear that Bounce is putting up weight already - at that rate he will be soon out of the danger zone! :)

It is wonderful that Nutmeg is learning to trust you through her pregnancy and the babies.

Pleased to hear they are doing well :).

Our old guinea Cloud was the smallest of 4 born, he was tiny compared to the others but grew up to weigh over 1kg & was a right bossy pants towards his bigger brother Willow his whole life! Let's hope your little guy grows like this too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back