• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Orchard Grass Hay vs. Timothy Hay

ILoveGilbertTheGuineaPig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was looking to switch my piggies from timothy hay to orchard grass for a couple of reasons.
1) I think they would like it more and waste less
2) I was hoping it would be a little less crumbly/dusty than the timothy hay I've been getting
3) I like that it's softer because one of my girls gets hay poke a lot and this way I can also use it for bedding
With all that in mind, I was wondering if there are any downsides to it. I was looking at the nutritional content and hay comparison charts and saw that it had a lower Ca : P ratio and also higher protein. I was worried this could be a nutritional issue in the long run. My last concern is that it will not wear down their teeth enough since it's softer. I know many people use it as an alternative to timothy hay because of allergies, so I'd love to hear from you guys!

Thanks in advance!

Any grass hay is fine for them to eat. Timothy is good at wearing down the teeth though as it is coarse. Do you offer the hay in a rack? It can help reduce haypoke risks.

My own personal feeling is that I don’t use just one type of hay. I find that variety of hays helps to keep them interested and I notice my two eat a lot more hay if I mix different types which also helps keep them occupied.

As to whether you would waste less, particularly if you are going to use it as bedding I think depends hugely on your set up. Any bedding hay will be pee’d on so will need throwing away daily if wet.

Any grass hay is fine for them to eat. Timothy is good at wearing down the teeth though as it is coarse. Do you offer the hay in a rack? It can help reduce haypoke risks.

My own personal feeling is that I don’t use just one type of hay. I find that variety of hays helps to keep them interested and I notice my two eat a lot more hay if I mix different types which also helps keep them occupied.

As to whether you would waste less, particularly if you are going to use it as bedding I think depends hugely on your set up. Any bedding hay will be pee’d on so will need throwing away daily if wet.

I do offer it in a rack! But some of it also falls down so I think miss Eclair somehow pokes her eye with it. If I mix it, I worry they will be picky about it and only eat one type, but I am considering that. Thank you!

Back