• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Oxbow Adult Cavy cuisine!! Supplier here!

tabelmabel

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone - this is out of stock everywhere just now. Ebay has a couple of 11kg bags at 55 quid but the smaller bags are nowhere to be found except:

Online Pet Supplies Store UK | Pet Shop | SPH Supplies

I have just ordered a couple of 4,5kg bags - never ordered from here before so dont know if i can recommend them yet but just to be aware this product is not easy to get hold of in the uk right now

Lol - update to above - there is NO cavy cuisine after all.

Just got this email:

thank you for your order for Cavy Cuisine. We will not be able to ship this immediately - there are currently 3 containers of Oxbow products, sat at the docks, waiting for customs to clear them so that they can then enter the warehouses and be distributed. Unfortunately customs have held these 3 containers for the last 2 weeks, and no one knows what the delay is, or when the goods will be released. Incredibly unhelpful …

I am extremely sorry about this, but as soon as we have any more definite news will will let you know …

I will need to merge my pigs onto something else whilst i have some cavy cuisine left . . . .

Changing pellets isn't fun, is it? I recently swore off buying Burgess again (unrelated to the pellets) but then finding another non-Burgess pellet wasn't my favourite activity. I ended up with Cunipic Alpha Pro and Science Selective. I'll stick with the Cunipic in future, the goblins prefer it and it at least came in a resealable bag.

Lol i have never had to change before - i do have a little cavy cuisine left so we will see if customs releases that shipment in time! I will keep the brands you use in mind though. What i like about the cavy cuisine is that it is just about pure hay so, for poorly pigs, just add hot water and it turns instantly to an easily syringeable mush. Which is handy til the critical care arrives. No poorly piggies here just now though:D

Science Selective is a forum favourite but I went with the Cunipic too because it's timothy based. Obviously it's not 100% hay and it does have other not so great ingredients on down the list, but the goblins love their timothy and I wanted to find something they'd at least try. They love them, though. Camowen will let me hand feed him one, even, and he'd never done that with the other ones. They're a chunky size too.

Its probably better to slowly switch to a pellet that has multiple suppliers and a stable UK supply post-Brexit, there are many good pellet brands available and given the tiny contribution they make to a healthy diet it shouldnt be a massive issue- pellets usually only add vitamin D for indoor piggies and a few trace minerals to a recommended hay-and-veg based diet, while also on the downside adding a lot of unnecessary calcium and processed calories. Youngsters and skinny pigs need pellets a bit more perhaps but there's nothing except the vit D that isnt nutritionally available elsewhere!

That's a good point @PigglePuggle - about pellets being a small part of the diet. I dont know how i ever got started with oxbow as it is an American brand but i have always fed it since starting with pigs back in 2012. Oxbow timothy hay is a favourite too for the pigs! No supply issues there so far but definitely one to bear in mind. Sph supplies refunded me straight away in full so it looks like they are a decent company and certainly very speedy in the customer service dept!

Back