• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Polyp in the eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midge&Panda

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Maisie has had a droopy eyelid for some time now occasionally a little bit of pink inner eye lid has protruded but it has always gone back in. On the odd visit to the vet its been examined but no concerns over it. Last night we noticed what we thought was a bit of skin hanging from the eyelid with a small amount of blood. We made an emergency appt for this morning as well has giving her baytril and a squeeze of fucathalmic ointment. This morning after a quick look the vet squeezed the eye and out popped what she called a polyp from underneath the eyelid. It covered nearly the whole of the eye. There were 3 options. To leave it. treat with steroids or remove it. We decided on removal. Maisie had a wiff of gas and the polyp was removed and sent for testing. Maisie - fortunately has come home none the worse for wear and we're just waiting for the results. The vet call the 'polyp' a biomass. It will in all likelihood grow back but its just a simple procedure for removal. Has anybody any experiences of this because I cant find any info on the internet..? Thanks

My sow had a polyp in her ear - quite rare in guinea pigs (or so i was told at the time - they are frequently seen in cats/dogs) - her's was quite a large op only because the initial vets that were treating it never wanted to do anymore than keep prescribing baytril. Once she'd been on baytril for like 4wks within days of the AB's stopping it tripled in size and the smell was horrific. The day before her op she was shaking her head constantly and blood/puss was flying everywhere. The polyp itself was so large by this time it filled the whole inside of her ear - the vets that did the op were concerned she'd have to have part of her ear canal removed as it went that far down. Luckily they removed all they could without having to remove any ear canal and did say it would most likely return - that was over 2yrs ago now and she's had no more issues since.....

Thankfully in your case the removal is very simple - so if it does return it shouldn't be too much of an issue :)

Oh my goodness, sorry we have never come across this before, hope all is well and it does not return.

I don't no if this will be helpful as I am not a piggie lol but I have suffered with nasal polyps since I was in primary school, had then removed and 4 year later they came back. So far it's been every 4-5 year when they comeback and have to have them removed. They wernt painful just a bit uncomfortable, my stop me breathing through my nose most of the time, and can just imagine your piggies having blurred vision. Steroid treatments help slow the regrowth of them but surgery was the best option in my opinion, they are normally (99% or so am told) non cancerous so don't worry. I doubt (and hope) she wasn't in any pain.

I hope this is a bit of help. I no it's not exactly ideal as am not a piggie lol x

Thanks for that Victoria, that's basically what the vet said. We could have tried steroids to see if it slowed down the growth but because it was so large surgery was probably the best option. Maisie has mad a brilliant recovery. Going back for her post-op check tomorrow and hopefully the results of the biopsy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back