• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Respiratory infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Writing on behalf of my guinea siblings (mum's piggies!) so hope I remember everything...

My mum recently got Hattie from a rescue and a short while after she was treated for a respiratory infection. The antibiotics seemed to work until she came off them. Now about a week after she breathes very rapidly, sits still and fluffed out and makes funny noises when she breathes.
Mum ran straight back to the vet and they said it could be lung damage and prescribed her with bronchal dilators and more antibiotic in case that didn't work. Well the dilators haven't worked and I'm waiting for an update on the antibiotic this morning.

Does anybody have any ideas what's wrong with her? Could she have a permanent condition?

Also the first vet told us to give her cagemate treatment as well but the second vet said not to ?/

Sally x

HI love........it is most unusual for a rescue to send home a piggie that's not well :(

Whee send mega loving wheeeeeeeeeeeeks and healing loves for Hattie XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

How long was she on the meds originally? often from my past experiences it can take 7-10 days and longer! some seem to be harder to shift and you might find a different medication would suit her better.
Simon Maddocks is in Northamptonshire i'll give you his details as he's brilliant with piggie !

The Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic
1 Limehurst Square
Northamptonshire

01604 478888

Thanks so much for the reply and the healing thoughts x>>

She was on Baytril for 2 weeks (she's only a baby) and she's back on it now. I just called and mum says she seems better this morning but then she did last time. For now she's being kept separate from Ruby. We'll definitely ask about other medication, I hadn't thought of that.
Thanks for the recommendation, my mum's in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire so I think she'd be a bit reluctant to take a poorly piggy that far but if things don't improve we'll have to try and see him. It's good to know where the best guinea experts are :)

She seemed fine when mum first got her but it developed a few days after she got home, probably just unlucky. I don't doubt that the rescue took good care of her.

Do you think it could it be a chronic respiratory infection? And if so what sort of treatment are we looking at?

Oh piggies you make me worry so!

xxxxxxx

It's been a few years (luckily for me) since I had this problem so I can't offer any relevant advice but I would say be persistent with your vet as respiratory infections are really serious and if your not happy then ring around the vets in your area and do what I do, be nosy! Ask them about their experience and how experienced they are with piggies and medications.
I would whole heatedly reccomend Simon maddock, you can rest assured he is one of the best.
Good luck and I hope your mums piggie gets better.

Thanks everyone for the great advice and support.

I'm not too sure about her current vet, wish I'd been with my mum to give him a grilling. I'll take on board your advice and ring round for a good vet or get her to my vets in Sheffield who are fab, and failing that we'll try and get to Simon Maddock seeing as he's got such a great report.

She definitely sounds stuffed up and fluidy when she breathes, and apparently her lungs make a weird clicking noise, but so far she's eating and drinking fine.

x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back