• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

thinking about getting a hamster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
well i have an empty big hamster cage.. and I'm thinking of getting a hamster the syrian kind. but shall i get a male or female ? i have a big cage what i really just want one.

syrian hamsters should always live alone. i dont really think male or female makes much difference

syrian hamsters should always live alone. i dont really think male or female makes much difference

thanks i didnt know that ill think ill go with female then and any tips on hamsters are welcomed :)

xx kerri

Female Syrians have distinct smell when they're in heat once every 3-4 days.

And personally I've had a lot of Syrians - Males are not as active whilst the girls are much more hyper.

I'd go for males if I were you - But for the love of Tortoiseshell my current Syrian is a girl. :p

Syrians should be kept alone as their wild cousins are solitary, so that is correct.

As for differences in gender, not a lot in personality but like all hamsters, you must handle them often when young to get them used to being held and feel no need to bite in defense. My girlfriend has 2 females at the moment, one is quite erratic and bites, the other is quite gentle and has never bitten. She used to have a male who never once bit her in the 3 years she had him, so it does all depend on how much you handle them and handle them correctly.

Obviously, they're an animal that hibernates so a tank is beneficial rather than a cage as it'll keep warmer for them. It should be large enough that you can get a wheel, house of some kind and toys in comfortably and still give them enough room to maneuver, somewhere for their food bowl etc. You can use a cage anyway, that's ok but you'd have to give them a lot of shelter and bedding to snuggle into.

I had Robos when I was younger, they were sweet :)

I've only ever had Syrian Hamsters;I have found male Syrians to be more laid back and easier to handle.

Only ever had Russian Dwarfs so couldnt help with this, let us know what you end up getting :)

I have always found females are a lot more active and curious, they do have quite a distinctive smell when they are on heat, however I'm totally used to it with my girl, its not bad just a bit musky!

Syrian hamsters should always be kept alone and a tank is generally better but makes sure there is plenty of ventilation.

The best way to make them freindly is to handle them reguarly from a young age, in the long run they can become quite sweet ... my girl thinks she is a cat I swear rolleyes

Syrian hamsters are brilliant, love them .... they just need a bit of understanding ..... they are sooo cute and sweet when used to people though :<>

Anyway hope that helped a bit? :)

I've had three syrians, seperatly, two were male and one female and they were all lovely. I dont know if there's much difference between gender because my three could not have been more different.
One bit of advice, they can be great escape artists. We had to tighten the fastenings on one of my hamsters cages firstly because he was able to squeeze out of the gap as a baby and again when he figured out how to push the doors open. rolleyes

I currently have a male Syrian Hamster (coming up to his first birthday).

A very lazy creature, well until he gets on his wheel, and very sweet too. I can remember before I got him hearing quite a few times how hamsters are 'bitey'. He's only got me once, and that's when my fingers smelt of food (and I stupidly left them there, thinking "look how cute he is sniffing" @) )

He's always been a bit skittish, but he likes to go investigating when out on the bed, and on more then one occasion hasn't been able to get back into his house at the first attempt as he'd filled his cheek pouches up so much.

Rilenceny

thank you for the advice Male it is!

lilmisscavy

the cage i have is the ones used for tortoise its a two floor high. i have the wheel. two little houses water bottle. food bowl. and it has little palm trees haha with two stairs to climb to second floor. ill post a pic soon :) so i say it will be warm and big enough. thank you for your reply :)

and thank you all for all ** reply's it sure has helped. as soon as the baby hamsters arrive at the pet store I'm getting a male. and ill post pictures for you all to see :) the pet store owner is giving him to me free as i always buying staff there :) so ill be saving £5 and i already have everything.
the food i have is the wagg make. i think that should be ok ? and the bedding I'm going to use is newspaper and woodshavings on top? and for the little houses shredded paper and another thing i get from my local store thats for nests of small animals.

Only ever had Russian Dwarfs so couldnt help with this, let us know what you end up getting :)

when i was 10 i went to a petstore and they had russian hamsters. and they looked so cute so i decided to buy two. as they where cheap i already had a hamster cage at home from a previous hamster i had. so i came home with the russian and surprised my mum. which had a go at me saying that it would escape through the railing of the cage so my dad put a net thing around it so it wouldnt. after a few weeks. she had babies to my surprise they must have been male and female. of course i kept quiet and didnt tell my mum. as i was the one cleaning the cage feeding them i hoped she didnt notice. i think she had around 7 babies. guess what i kept them. all and one morning i went to feed them and i didnt see the mother. she had died during delivery. i was going to a holiday and my uncle said he would take care of them. as it was summer he left them in a corridor and he was outside with his cat one day and they all escaped haha my uncle is bad with his legs so he cant crouch down and the cat got them one by one and brought it to him (amazing) but the little russians decided to escape again at night time. :( so sad when i came home and there where all gone. guess what i wasnt aloud any more hamsters hahaha well now I'm 21 and dont worry I'm just getting one.

Is the Wagg food the guinea pig food? If so it would be better to get proper hamster food :)

Looking forward to seeing pics :))

Ohh i love hammys! I've had syrians and russian hamsters, i've always had male syrians. This was Reginald, he was the best hamster i've ever owned! You called his name and he would pop his head out of his bed to say hello x)
Z9pNM.jpg

aww, I have a hammy called timmy. He's 3 1/2! I've had loads since I was 11, males and females and the males tend to be easier to handle and more friendly. I just buy generic hamster food but they love monkey nuts and veggies too.
here he is!
001-18.jpg

Ohh i love hammys! I've had syrians and russian hamsters, i've always had male syrians. This was Reginald, he was the best hamster i've ever owned! You called his name and he would pop his head out of his bed to say hello x)
Z9pNM.jpg

awww how cute :) now I'm getting excited i really want to get my hammie :) hopefully this week they will arrive

aww, I have a hammy called timmy. He's 3 1/2! I've had loads since I was 11, males and females and the males tend to be easier to handle and more friendly. I just buy generic hamster food but they love monkey nuts and veggies too.
here he is!
001-18.jpg

aww his lovely :)

i love looking at other peoples pets makes me want to have them all haha :)

if i had a massive house i would have loads of animals haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back