• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What noises send your piggies running for the hills?

munchmonster

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
On the few occasions when I sing my piggies run and hide and I understand that (I would run away too) but last night I was watching The Repair Shop and some bagpipes had been repaired and a tune was played on them - after only two notes every one of them stopped eating hay and ran into their hideys and stayed for quite a while. :yikes:
What sounds do any forum piggies take objection to?

Mine are pretty laid back and don't bother about noises, except......when a doorbell rings on TV. And then all three run for cover. Our actual house doorbell, they couldn't care less but apparently the ones on TV are a different level of alarm!

Keys are a problem for our gang too.
Hamish hates the house phone ringing, & mobile phone pingy noises, every other pig doesn’t care!
Dog whistles on the tv send both of us diving for the remote control, otherwise all tv noises are acceptable.

Just been reminded by my OH as he forgot just now…. Any noise played through a computer is unacceptable and receives a brrr.

Sudden major crashes and clashes in or close to the house. Fireworks, thunder and lightning very close to the house.
Sometimes, it is a smell or something out of hearing range that can spook a piggy and the whole Tribe will make a dash for cover. With the prey animal instincts on alarm, this can then trigger further instinctive stampedes. At the worst it can take a few days for the Tribe to settle down again.

Llewelyn always made a dash when he heard chickens on tv (biological reasons).

The pigs don't like me turning on the mobile but it doesn't spook them.

It used to be a sneeze but Geoff & Bobby are ok with that now, they don’t react to my dog barking unexpectedly ( altho that makes me jump sometimes !) but ….a door slamming or a tv doorbell and they’re hiding 😂

The goblins don't like the noise of electronic lighters, the rechargeable type that uses plasma arcs rather than a flame. I found one on the windowsill and tested it, not expecting anything close to the angry "you need to stop that" trills I got in reply lol. And then today I was sat on the far end of the waiting area and I got angry trills for making them listen to keypad sounds.

Mine hate the ping that Facebook messenger makes when you send a message. Pumpkin makes angry noises at me. She also does that if she disapproves of a song I'm listening to.

Keys they absolutely hate but I can understand why.

Weirdly they love council lawnmowers they think it signals food 🤣🤷🏾

Both boys run for cover if anyone sneezes but Mischievous Master Boris hates any mobile phone noises. Earlier today he was having a snuggle with Auntie, The Daddy Slave started using his phone on speaker which caused lots of (so cute) growling.

Both boys run for cover if anyone sneezes but Mischievous Master Boris hates any mobile phone noises. Earlier today he was having a snuggle with Auntie, The Daddy Slave started using his phone on speaker which caused lots of (so cute) growling.
Mine are okay with sneezing most of the time now. But they look at me like how dare you. I'm allergic to hay and I share a room with them so I think they are used to it by now 🤣

Mine don't like the ring but an alarm in morning they come out of hides knowing mom is getting lettuce! They love music soft piano music which i have left on for them via my phone when going to work. But thanks to my girls Taylor Swift they love and come out to the music. My youngest will play music during day when home so they know she is around.

Mine don't like the ring but an alarm in morning they come out of hides knowing mom is getting lettuce! They love music soft piano music which i have left on for them via my phone when going to work. But thanks to my girls Taylor Swift they love and come out to the music. My youngest will play music during day when home so they know she is around.
Mine love the animal crossing theme music. I got the pigs during 2020 and I was on animal crossing a lot during lockdowns.

We’ve had complaints from our pigs about:

The blinds going up
The blinds going down
Anything coming out of a speaker phone (we have to put headphones in to listen to things on our phones). It’s either that or we leave the room.
Door buzzer
Any kind of cough, sneeze or in a certain mood, even a slightly loud sigh can apparently be very annoying. I’m surprised my eyeballs haven’t fallen out the amount of sneeze suppressing I have to do!
Certain music
Car indicators clicking
Lorry reversing noises
Key pad type noises
‘Kissy kissy’ ‘mwah’ squeaky lips type noises. One of the student vets tried it with Mabel in an attempt to make friends with her and got very short shrift for her efforts- awkward lol!

Funnily enough they are absolutely fine with the very loud clicking noise of their pea flake Tupperware… and Mabel has happily got used to a noisy nebuliser now she associates it with food.

Although coughs and sneezes can make them run for cover the rest of the above seem more like grumbles. If they can carry on begging ir munching while loudly complaining then I like to think they’re probably ok!

Pigs ey- they keep us well trained don’t they!

Mine love the animal crossing theme music. I got the pigs during 2020 and I was on animal crossing a lot during lockdowns.
They probably associate the music to you being around. I come into my room after work saying "Hello my babies,!" and if eating or in hides they come out. Because means mom will reach for hay and if i don't i get both looking at me like hey lady where is the hay. They really do prefer me home working in the room with them as it means mom might go get something for them like cucumber peppers...HAY!

Back