• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

1 Piggy Takes The Best Of Everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinkletoes

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all

I have 3 sows. They all like their own space and it's rare to see them cuddle with each other but it does happen. However one piggy who is dominant always has the best of everything. The best hidey the first taste at the food etc. If the others come she chases them off till she is finished then she allows them. Or if they take her hidey she chases them out. I feel so bad for the other 2. All the food I keep in the loft area. Is this behaviour normal will she ever share. The other piggys get their fair share of food as I have 3 hay racks 3 bowls and 2 bottles now so they can all munch I also have 4 hideys.

I really want them to all snuggle up with each other all the time but they don't. I see them popcorning a lot. They are also really friendly and i never see it go further than chasing plus they snuggle now and again but are they happy?

There is always going to be a dominant piggy, and she is it. Yes, it is normal. She is just a bit more bossy than maybe some others might be!

I also have 3 sows and one is definitely the boss. I feel sorry for the other two but it's normal for one to be the alpha female :)

Aww thanks guys. I usually give dominant piggy most lap time just so the other two can have a bit of peace. Now I know it's usually piggy culture I feel bit better xx

I have three sows also. They get along fine but NEVER snuggle together at least not when I'm around lol. My dominant girl isn't that bossy, but she is over certain things, just not food per se mostly hay and beds. All three eat pellets out of the same bowl at the same time even though there are two bowls.

They're funny to watch. :)

image.jpg

This is completely normal, In every group of pigs there will be a boss pig. I feel bad for one of my pigs as the dominant one takes over everything except the big bed they have. I especially feel sorry for her as she is still little but I know it is normal. It might seem a bit mean and you might be angry at the boss pig but there really is no reason to. This is just natural :)

Someone has to be the boss... they have a hierarchy. They aren't unhappy... the pecking order is actually how things are supposed to be for guinea pigs. It's only an issue if two pigs really want to be the boss and can't agree on who it is. My older sow, Linney, is very definitely the boss. She was the boss of our original pair, and after her original cagemate passed away we made sure to get a pig with a more submissive personality who would not challenge Linney too much. We've now had Linney and Sundae paired up for over four years, and Sundae just waits her turn, having learned that if Linney ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back