• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

1ast cage setup

D

DM5

Hello! I will be a new guinea pig owner in a week (for my 7yo daughter) and have been doing tons of research! I finally decided on a cage that I think will work very well--it's 4x2 plus it's one of the only ones I could find with wheels for a guinea pig! I've researched and purchased all sorts of appropriate things for the little guy (play pen, bedding, fleece, Timothy hay, etc. etc.).

Any recommendations for how I should set it up? (placement of food bowls, litter, hay, fleece, etc.)? I do have a cozy, soft little hideaway house for her and wonder if it should go on the bottom or a top shelf? I want to get it all set up in the next couple of days for our newest family member:-) Thanks!
PICPIC.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
I agree with @Sophie Blane - that looks more like a hamster cage.
It’s too small for guinea pigs.
Have a read of the forum threads for new owners where you will find lots of helpful information about housing, feeding, caring etc.
Guinea pigs need to live in pairs at a minimum- they are herd animals.

They are wonderful pets and I hope you will enjoy yours and being a forum member too.
We like pictures.

Sorry if I misread the cage size.
I just looks like the cage I had for my hamster.

Are you getting only one guinea pig? Guinea pigs are herd animals. You should (must) get two of them. Please read our guides here:

Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners
Yes, I did read that about having more than one guinea pig, but since my daughter is asking for just one, I plan to get another very shortly thereafter (at which time I'm sure I be researching how to best introduce guinea pigs). I did read that with a lot of handling and social activity, which she will certainly get, I have no doubt she will be just fine for a week or two until we get another:-)

Is it not best to get 2 at the same time. As getting one later on will make them harder to bond then you could end up with 2 cages?

Is it not best to get 2 at the same time. As getting one later on will make them harder to bond then you could end up with 2 cages?

It doesn’t make it harder to bond necessarily - it is all down to character compability of the piggies. Choosing the wrong pig to bond with the current pig is where it will fail. Obviously if you get one and then get another later then you have to do the bonding yourself - making a neutral area to do the bonding, having several hours spare to do it, making sure the cage they will live in is completely scent free, watching and understanding the behaviours you are seeing as to whether the bonding is going well or not etc, and even then if you go out and buy a new piggy there is always the risk that they won’t be character compatible and the bond won’t work hence then needing a spare cage and another two pigs to bond with each single pig. However, This can all be reduced by getting the second pig from a rescue centre as they can help do the matching and bonding for you as you then just bring home your piggy with their new friend with whom the hard work of bonding has already been done.

Getting two together from the start will make it easier in that respect, but even two piggies brought home together can fall out - a change in environment can be enough to trigger dominance and the potential of a fall out.

Yes, I did read that about having more than one guinea pig, but since my daughter is asking for just one, I plan to get another very shortly thereafter (at which time I'm sure I be researching how to best introduce guinea pigs). I did read that with a lot of handling and social activity, which she will certainly get, I have no doubt she will be just fine for a week or two until we get another:-)

As I said above, it’s about character compatibility not just the introduction and bonding process, so looking to a rescue centre to help find a suitable companion can increase the chances of a successful bonding.
You do just need to bear in mind that lone piggies are often more anxious of their new surroundings - no friend to help explore with and be reassured by. Handling piggies can be very tricky though, they aren’t cuddly creatures, most hate being picked up (it is too close to their prey instincts) and particularly when they first arrive, they often just want to hide. That is what my children didn’t entirely understand when we got ours. I had to explain to them many times, particularly my youngest, that they aren’t the kind of pet that you can pick up and cuddle with the same as we can our rabbits.

It would be a nice cage if you get rid of those horrible plastic shelves and ramps. Do the wheels lock? You dont want to kick it and it goes rolling down the house. Get two pigs seriously il link you my thread and itl show you how fun it is to get two. One will be depressed trust me, ive been there with this.

Welcome to the forum

Dot and Burnie bonding thread. Have a look through this, especially later on in the thread

I agree the shelves and ramps, ditch them, give your piggies some space to move around in. They don’t need toys and clutter, just plenty of hay to burrow in, a food bowl and a cozy or tunnel to sleep in. This will then be a good cage.

Back