• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

2/3 Month Old Male Piggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_street

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok.
I would like to know if my piggies behaviour is ok or a little off.
I bought 2 female guine pigs about 5months ago. They were only small so I think about 2/3months old themselves. After a few weeks I started to notice that obe was getting much bigger than the other. It turned out she was pregnant and soon had one pup. Sadly a boy.
I read about how boys need to be removed after 4 weeks so took him out and he is now in a separate cage of his own. He is now 2 and a half months old.

I get him out and handle every day but he NEVER sits still and always runs around. Not necessarily away, just around like a rocket. He is also VERY vocal. Much more vocal than any other pig I have had (and I have had 6 before these 3).

So my question is, is this a normal thing or do I need to do something to calm him down?

I am hoping to have him snipped when he is four months old and place him back with the girls.

Hello. Welcome to the forum.

Your piggy is just a healthy little boy full of beans! It is all normal behaviour. After neutering it takes six weeks before he can go back with his mum and they will need to be re introduced on neutral ground. You may know that already, of course.

Hi and welcome!

Young guinea pigs are not good at sitting still! They love popcorning (jumping), zooming (running in circles) and at that age, they are at their most vocal. You always know when a youngster is crashed because it is quiet... Don't worry - he'll start settling down more and more from 4-6 months onwards, especially when the hormones hit and he discovers rumblestrutting big time! ;)

Please be aware that you need to conduct a full 6 weeks post op wait until after the neutering operation. I have the baby from a supposedly safe over five weeks post op boar, just to prove that particular point. It can really happen that late. I have since heard of other cases, but I have yet to hear of an over 6 weeks post op baby.
It also pays to do your research re. a good vet, as that really cuts down on the risks of post op complications. We have got a piggy savvy UK vets locator on the top bar.
We have got lots of information at the top of our Care sections, but you are always welcome to ask any questions you may have re. preparation for an operation or how do best conduct introductions etc...

With members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you added your country, state or (for the UK) your county/city to your details, so we can always give you the appropriate advice and recommendations for your part of the world straight away. Please click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. In the same section you can also upload your avatar. That is the picture that appears with every post you make.

Awww.
Thank you. I am so pleased to find that he is fine. I was starting to worry he had ADHD or something. Haha.
I've never had a piggy like him. He is so active. I can barely keep up!

They can be totally madcap at that age, especially if they have never known fear!

Thanks for adding your location. We have got quite a number of members from the wider Birmingham area that can help you with local recommendations. ;)

Aww so cute I have 3very vocal crazy 8wks old boys now iv had them sines they was 3wks old they run round popcorn most of the day they just started to jump on ther beds and try get out of cage

Attachments

• DSC_1220.jpg
    DSC_1220.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 3
Aww so cute I have 3very vocal crazy 8wks old boys now iv had them sines they was 3wks old they run round popcorn most of the day they just started to jump on ther beds and try get out of cage

You have no idea how happy it is to hear that I am not the only one with nightmare pigs! Hhaha. He is always trying to get out and explore. I feel really sorry for him being on his own so I get him out at least once a day if not 2/3 times. Poor kid. haha

I have a teen with adha he love them to bit get them out of cage least 5-6 times a day n sometime take them to bed n yeh over wkend they all seem to bejumping on there boxes n bed to get out they not happy tonight as iv moved living room round they keep looking up n going on the back legs to see what am doing n squeeling at me x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back