• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

2 Boars Fighting- Big Wound :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

princenvladimir

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two boars, one is 8 months and the other one 7 months. They have always been living together since birth. Prince has always been more dominant but also very protective of vladimir (who is the youngest). If we take vladimir out of the cage, prince will always check he is ok when he comes back and will cry as soon as vladimir is taken away for a bit. When they had suspected ringworm, we tried to separate them for a night and could not as they were crying so much and were so happy when back together!
Anyway, I have heard them making a brand new noise and when I found them Prince had a big cut on his lip which was bleeding quite a bit. We cleaned his wound with cold water and although he seemed very disoriented at first, he is now eating and seems OK. We'll obviously take him to the vet if we see any signs of infection.
I have called straight away the place I bought them from, and she told me that mouths cuts usually heal quickly- is that true? She advised us to put them back together asap.
We tried once- they did the same noise and were about to fight (this time Prince against Vladmir, Vladimir looks scared)
Second time a few hours later: Prince actually humped Vladimir several times! We have just noticed this week that their testicles are much bigger than before?

We're both new piggies owners and have NO IDEA what to do next. Vladimir is in the cage and Prince is in a card box. Get a bigger cage asap? Can they still live together or do they need a separation in the cage forever?

I feel heartbroken - so relieved Prince looks better but they used to get on so well :(

THANKS a lot for reading!

I have two boars, one is 8 months and the other one 7 months. They have always been living together since birth. Prince has always been more dominant but also very protective of vladimir (who is the youngest). If we take vladimir out of the cage, prince will always check he is ok when he comes back and will cry as soon as vladimir is taken away for a bit. When they had suspected ringworm, we tried to separate them for a night and could not as they were crying so much and were so happy when back together!
Anyway, I have heard them making a brand new noise and when I found them Prince had a big cut on his lip which was bleeding quite a bit. We cleaned his wound with cold water and although he seemed very disoriented at first, he is now eating and seems OK. We'll obviously take him to the vet if we see any signs of infection.
I have called straight away the place I bought them from, and she told me that mouths cuts usually heal quickly- is that true? She advised us to put them back together asap.
We tried once- they did the same noise and were about to fight (this time Prince against Vladmir, Vladimir looks scared)
Second time a few hours later: Prince actually humped Vladimir several times! We have just noticed this week that their testicles are much bigger than before?

We're both new piggies owners and have NO IDEA what to do next. Vladimir is in the cage and Prince is in a card box. Get a bigger cage asap? Can they still live together or do they need a separation in the cage forever?

I feel heartbroken - so relieved Prince looks better but they used to get on so well :(

THANKS a lot for reading!

Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry to say that your boys are right in the middle of their hormonal teenage months; that is the time when they develop their adult identity and when it really decides whether they are are compatible as adults or not.
You can try and reintroduce them after a cool down for a day or two. It depends on whether the injury to the mouth is a full-on bite or an accidental shallow swipe; if it is the second, you may be in with a chance; if it is the first, you've pretty much had it. I would however not recommend to hold your breath too much! :(

The wound needs to be disinfected; you can get sterile saline solution from a pharmacy or make it yourself by mixing 1 teaspoon of salt with 1/2 pint =250 ml of boiled cooled water.

Please take the time to carefully read this guide here. It is very detailed and takes you through all aspects and all your possible options. If you wish to give your boys another go; you can find a link to a detailed bonding guide. Just sticking them back together is a straight forward recipe for an epic fail!
Please be aware that pet shop staff and backyard breeders are not exactly known for their profound knowledge of the pets they sell. :(
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths
First Aid Kit For Guinea Pigs
New Owners' " How To" Starter Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back