• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

2 males suddenly start fighting

Joey1983

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi
I am new to this forum , I have 2 males one called George who is 2 and half years old and Toby who is 1 years old.
They have always got on great no issues , George has always been the dominant one, Toby would follow him everywhere , they always sleep together and have always been very close
We have a huge outside run the who width of our garden with trees and bushes in and they are let out all day until the evening. The last things days I notice them chasing each other and little fights but nothing like what must of happened over night. Even before I put them away they were huddled together
I went to let them out this morning and George was bleeding on his back he hate a bite mark , I have cleaned the cut with saline solution and gave him a salt bath , I have separate them now, can I try and Re introduce them again or it is best not to now As Toby made George bleed? I am so worried Incase their bond has been broken now

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
I am new to this forum , I have 2 males one called George who is 2 and half years old and Toby who is 1 years old.
They have always got on great no issues , George has always been the dominant one, Toby would follow him everywhere , they always sleep together and have always been very close
We have a huge outside run the who width of our garden with trees and bushes in and they are let out all day until the evening. The last things days I notice them chasing each other and little fights but nothing like what must of happened over night. Even before I put them away they were huddled together
I went to let them out this morning and George was bleeding on his back he hate a bite mark , I have cleaned the cut with saline solution and gave him a salt bath , I have separate them now, can I try and Re introduce them again or it is best not to now As Toby made George bleed? I am so worried Incase their bond has been broken now
Hi

With a full-on serious bite to the back, the bond is unfortunately broken. Boys won't go back again after something like. :(

Please keep a close eye on the wound for the next weeks in case it starts abscessing. See a vey promptly for a preferably strong antibiotic and lancing to keep the abscess drained for as long as possible to make sure that no speck of infection is left in there as the abscess heals from the inside out in order to prevent it from flaring up again worse than ever. Was it a glancing blow or needle-like deep wounds?

Please take the time to read these guides here. The teenage fall-out guide has all your options in detail with their pros and cons for going from there:
Bonds In Trouble
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

I am very sorry that I do not have better news. There are sadly no good guinea pig rescues in Ireland to my knowledge.

Joey1983

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply , I am absolutely devastated they can’t go back together.
What would you recommended now? as I know they don’t like to live on their own , I have 2 separate cages so that’s no problem keeping them apart I just don’t want them to be lonely

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply , I am absolutely devastated they can’t go back together.
What would you recommended now? as I know they don’t like to live on their own , I have 2 separate cages so that’s no problem keeping them apart I just don’t want them to be lonely
I’m sorry to hear that they have now fallen out.
You will need to keep their cages next to each other so they can still have interaction through the bars. This will prevent loneliness.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can keep them as next door neighbours with pushing the cages next to each other, then that will do for the time being while you explore all your options and give your boys time to settle down and see whether it works for them, too. They still rely on constant stimulation and interaction in some way or other.

All your options are discussed in much more detail in the guide links in my first post.
Don't make any knee jerk decisions while you are still reeling but PLEASE take the time to read the links, think them through and then do what you think is best for your boys and your individual situation. There is no 'one size fits all' solution. Whatever you do, it must feel right for you, first and foremost. We can only give you the necessary information (which is in the green links that have taken me days to write, so I can't repeat them in every post); but we cannot tell you what to do.