• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

2 Sows And 1 Boar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polly and Rosie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I have 2 sows around 2 to 3 years old ( unsure of age as rescued ) that live in a ferplast 140. I thought if I add a playpen or let the guinea pigs have a rom for free range could I add a boat from my rescue? The boars are around 3 or mor months old. Thanks!

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was thinking the same as I have seen a few neutered boars around 5 months at my local rescue. I was wondering if I could adopt one for my 1 year old pair of sows as will have toones of space : 360 x 300 for my piggys!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
You will have to talk to the rescue whether they are are OK with that, as it is just below RSPCA recommendations. Would it be possible to switch to a 2x4 C&C grid pen, which is roughly the same ground space as a 2x5 ft cage (compliant with RSCPA minimum recommendations), but as it is 70cm deep, it is not longer?

Boars are generally old enough for neutering around 4-6 months of age and then should have a 6 weeks post op wait to make sure that they 100% safe to go with sows - especially adult ones at higher risk of birthing complications. I have the daughter of a supposedly safe over 5 weeks post neutering op rescue boar, so it can happen as late as that and have since heard of other cases.

If your girls can date neutered boars at the rescue for character compatibility, then that would be great. Not every sow and boar will gel, especially if both are dominant. I had to jiggle my groups carefully so they have either a dominant husboar or a dominant top sow at the helm.

I currently have 4 boars living with 2-6 sows each, and they are very happy boys indeed! But it would pay to do your research first!

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I have a neutered boar and two sows.

They are living in a ferplast double 120 cage and have daily floor time. I know not everyone is a fan of two tier cages but it was the only way I could have my piggies living indoors. I have contacted the rescues they originally came from and they were happy with the set up.

I would definitely recommend a neutered boar living with a sow / sows provided you can date them and they get along.

Good luck

orangeinepig

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a neutered boar and some more sows to add to my little herd for when I get my shed as I hear its more like nature to have a boar in with the group of sows and from what I have just read it seems boars that have been neutered are great additions to sows so if I was you I would go for it but make sure the rescue knows the size of the cage etc. to make sure it is ok with them. :) Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.