• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

2 Tier Cages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florrieberry

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
Would anybody recommend any 2 tier cages please? We now have 3 in a 120 cage and not sure if this is big enough even though they do come out into a big pen 2-3 hours every night? Space is limited as is cash!
Thank you

120 is minimum for two piggies. And two piggies being two sows, not two boars.
Tiers do not count, it is only floor space.

That cage is too small for the guinea pigs. Getting another tier will not make a difference as ground space is what counts when it comes to giving guinea pigs space. Personally, I do not feel any ready made cage is big enough for three guinea pigs. I would make them a c and c cage. If you have it on the floor you will not need correx so that will save some money.

I think it's 120 for 2 piggies but you have to add another foot per piggie. I think! I can't recommend any 2 tiers but I think they're a good idea as mine love the extra tier and that's where I put their hay and food

I think it's 120 for 2 piggies but you have to add another foot per piggie. I think! I can't recommend any 2 tiers but I think they're a good idea as mine love the extra tier and that's where I put their hay and food
Is yours a complete tier, like a double cage? Or a mezzanine /shelf type tier?

That cage is too small for the guinea pigs. Getting another tier will not make a difference as ground space is what counts when it comes to giving guinea pigs space. Personally, I do not feel any ready made cage is big enough for three guinea pigs. I would make them a c and c cage. If you have it on the floor you will not need correx so that will save some money.
Sorry I don't understand , I thought they were meant to be off the floor to avoid draughts, that's why I bought a coffee table to put our present cage on .? I don't understand much about building them, so why wouldn't I need correx ? I thought that formed the base of the C&C cages?

Sorry I don't understand , I thought they were meant to be off the floor to avoid draughts, that's why I bought a coffee table to put our present cage on .? I don't understand much about building them, so why wouldn't I need correx ? I thought that formed the base of the C&C cages?
My c and c is on the floor away from draughts. I do not have correx as mine is stable due to being on the floor. The correx makes it stronger and provides a base.

I had a c&c with lofts due to not alot of room and my boys would just sit in the loft and do nothing.

Piggies aren't natural climbers and ramps etc can cause accidents.

I decided to dismantle the lofts and use another room. Now both my boys have a 5x2 each. One floor. My c&c is on the floor but I have a correx base and have a sherpa fleece blanket under that to help trap heat. :)

The diff is amazing. They are out all the time, popcorning, zooming around. All around happier boys.

Do you
My c and c is on the floor away from draughts. I do not have correx as mine is stable due to being on the floor. The correx makes it stronger and provides a base.
Do you mean the floor is the Base? Or is the Base part of the wire panels / Cubes which I thought piggies weren't to walk on? Sorry to be dim, learning as I go, and number 3 was completely unplanned but had been left alone in pet shop and my 2 daughters (who got theirs in October as an early Xmas present) said they would buy her for me as an early birthday present.

You make the c&c cage then buy correx to make a base that then sits inside the rectangle made by the c&c grids :)

If you have a stable floor you can always just use a waterproof layer like shower curtains and towels with fleece liners on the top instead of inserting a correx base.

Personally I like correx.

Don't apologise. .we all have to learn stuff. I knew nothing until I joined here last april :)

I have the actual floor as the base instead of using correx. This means my grids are in a rectangle and connected with cable ties. You can place a shower curtain on the floor or Lino and then add your bedding. I use towels and vet bed.

Please feel free to ask any questions. We all have to learn.

I have the actual floor as the base instead of using correx. This means my grids are in a rectangle and connected with cable ties. You can place a shower curtain on the floor or Lino and then add your bedding. I use towels and vet bed.

Please feel free to ask any questions. We all have to learn.
Great minds conquer worlds ;)

You make the c&c cage then buy correx to make a base that then sits inside the rectangle made by the c&c grids :)

If you have a stable floor you can always just use a waterproof layer like shower curtains and towels with fleece liners on the top instead of inserting a correx base.

Personally I like correx.

Don't apologise. .we all have to learn stuff. I knew nothing until I joined here last april :)
Ok, now it's beginning to make sense, just need to find out where to buy the stuff!

Is this the stuff :

Is a 3.5 cm hole ok? Piggies won't get head stuck?

or to save some cash meantime if you already have a 120 cage you could do what I did with mine and extend it out with a folding metal run and a storage tub - think the run was £20 and the tub probably a fiver but you may already have one in the house. My cage is a Skyline Maxi XL, so the edge panel flip out easily, but would depend how your cage is built.

C&C would mean everything would look less patched together and very easy to enlarge in the future so a good investment too, but I am happy with my bits and bobs cage for now. :)

revised cage.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back