• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

2nd piggy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So i'm off to pick up callie's hopefully friend. Her name is snickers. They way it sounds she has the calico colors. I hope it boosts her confidence and gets her out of the hide she stays in while in the run. I read about setting thier cages together for a week or so and then gradually let them live together. The run i bought should help. Whatever she doesn't have (igloo, etc) i'll buy since i need a few things for callie at the petsore today. I know theres a cage and other items all FREE!. They are moving and can't take her w/ them. She's a year & 1/2 old. I can buy a cage suitable for 2 pigs if needed. I'll post a pic later. I'm so excited for callie. I hope they become best friends. I have plenty food, chews, snacks and bedding.

Awww Snickers sounds adorable cant wait for photos, congratulations on your new arrival she's going to have a fab home :)) Ooo and good luck with the bonding!

You can have them live next to each other until the newbie has settled in and you see the girls interested in each other; on average that takes about two days with me. I stage the full introduction as soon as I see that both girls are interested in each other, but are not exhibiting any signs of aggression.

Please be aware that once you have committed to the introduction, i.e. having the girls meet each other, you need to see it out in one go. Guinea pigs follow a strict protocol and each time you interrupt them, they will have to start afresh from square one. You are hindering instead of helping if you do not let your girls sort each other out in one go.

With girls, you will usually know within the first quarter of an hour whether they will get on - that is how long the acceptance phase lasts.
After that, the dominance phase will start - with rumblestrutting, mounting etc... That can last days, as the girls will work out the shape of their relationship during that time. As guinea pigs are herd animals, hierarchy is integral to their society and you will always get a top piggy and a bottom piggy. Young piggies will usually get on without any problems.

Here is a collection of tips for introductions:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38562

Here is more about sow behaviour:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38561

Best of luck!

Snickers

2pzmdyt.jpg
5x0vx2.jpg

Its good i got her. Who knows the last time her claws were clipped. The guy said 2 weeks ago but i find that hard to believe. So we clipped them. Her and callie seem to be ok. They're in the pen. They were playin on my couch and lickin each other. Now they're just hiding. She had no hay just some cheap food and a salt lick. A water bottle too. They have pine bedding in there which i don't care for but i'll use the rest of it and then use carefresh like i do for callie. Rescuing animals has become our thing but NO more i swear..lol.

Ok so i did the introduction just to try it. I know i goofed there. I put their cages next 2 each other for 2 days. They're getting along. Chasing 1 another, sniffing each other in the pen. I think Snickers is goin to be more dominant. She's maybe 6 months older and bigger. They had a feeder for her which she could eat all she wanted. She was eating what i think looks like bird food but its pig food. She kicks most of it of what she doesn't like,wasting it. The food i buy isn't like that, no pickin' through what she doesn't like. She's a bit fat tho. I bought her a dish so i could control how much she eats. Snickers will be getting a fleece cozy. I bought an edible hay tunnel which they like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back