• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

2x4 C And C Cage Set Up, Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hananhlou980

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I'm currenlty ordering in everything to make my new c and c cage to get our first lot of guinea pigs, cage is 2x4 so works out at 71cm by 142cm with a 1x2 (hopefully) loft, so I'm looking for ideas/advice on how to set everything up please. Whats the best way to use the loft? How many toys/hides would you recommend for a cage this size? And advice for using fleece as well please, what is best to have underneath them? Thanks any advice would be greatly appreciated!
P.s. Asking for help as where I work we keep guinea pigs outside so I'm unfamiliar with setting up indoor enclosures :)

I have ordered a c and c cage with those same dimensions. :) I am planning to use the loft as a "kitchen" area, with the piggies food, water and hay. I also use a Uhaul absorbent liner underneath the fleece. If I come across any cute layouts/designs, I'll be sure to pass them along to you.

image.jpg image.jpg Hi there! I have a 3 by 4 with a 1 by 2 loft. What I found with the loft was that the shavings and hay from their kitchen being in the loft got all down the ramp and on the fleece. Instead I took the loft coro piece and placed it in one end of the cage and used a brick for an entrance block so hay doesn't spill everywhere. It works great- I can post photos if you'd like. But since I still wanted to use the loft, I used spare coro to line the bottom and sides where the box piece would go then put a few dish towels there underneath the fleece. I use it to serve veggies away from my white and pastel fleece and to keep my veggies from disappearing into the hay in the kitchen. They love it- I positioned it so the kitchen is directly underneath the loft to take up less space. For hides and shelters, I built several 12in by 6in wooden frames from safe wood (shown above) and wood glue, then cut fleece to cover them. Takes up less space and pigs love them.

Thank you, anyone got any suggestions for buying the grids cheap ish? Or another way of making a stand without paying £40 for it? I have dogs so would like the cage raised off the ground even though they wont have access to the room they will be in :)

Thank you, anyone got any suggestions for buying the grids cheap ish? Or another way of making a stand without paying £40 for it? I have dogs so would like the cage raised off the ground even though they wont have access to the room they will be in :)

Hi there I'm new to the forum (just joined today) the cheapest place I've found to buy grids is on the uk wayfair site. if you search for safco unit you should find it. Hope that's ok? I think its about £23 for 20 grids with free postage over £40. I've just purchased two myself to build a 2x4 C and C with loft. Any tip on where I can but the base material from(coroplast I think its called?) :)

Hi ghost, ive just ordered from the wayfair site 2 packs of the grids which is enough for me to make my cage and stand for about £45, alot less that I thought I was going to have to pay, was quoted nearly 150 from someone who makes the cages!
I spoke to some local sign makers around my area for correx (same or very similar to choroplast) some have been reasonable some havent, I have seen you can use other materials but I couldnt tell you what they were ;)

I made my stand out of some plywood and two by fours that I had lying around. It's two feet off the ground and I just painted it plain white, works perfectly for its purpose and I used a paint that can be easily wiped down. I made it so it fits a 4 by 4 in case I ever want to expand.

Re cage liners. I have made some using incontinenace pads under the fleece ( sewn up on my sewing machine ).. Not changed over yet as I have an outdoor hutch but will be doing it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back