• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

3 boys who seem terrified of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jema

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I took on a 2yr old male GP who was quite lonely on his own. I spend lots of time with him but when I got a new job with longer hours I decided to get him some friends. I got two little boys under 8 weeks and they have bonded very well. They chatter and spend lots of time together.

The issue I have is that they all seem to be terrified of me and anyone who walks into the room where there are homed. They hate being picked up but when they are they settle down a bit but in most situations do seem a bit on edge. I try and spend time with them every day and they have a good size cadge in the warmth as well. There are no predators around to scare them ect.

What can I do to get them to be more comfortable around me and other people when we come near their cadge or try to pick them up.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Jema

I'm no expert but where is the cage? Is it somewhere that they see people all of the time, or is it in a room where you have to go in to see the guineas specifically?
If it's the latter can you move them somewhere there are people most of the time, so they get used to you being there?

Sit next to the cage so you aren't towering above them and talk to them in a coochy coo type of voice. Offer them little treats so they associate you with something good.

I'm sure someone will come along with better advice soon.

x

one of mine is very timid so i pull up a chair and sit next to the cage every night without fail and i just do my own thing but talk to them as i do it and basically let them know they are safe when i am around.

Also, i make a point of not picking them up every time i go near the cage so they dont automatically think i am going to and hopefully that will make them more at ease.

Good luck x

Have you thought about playing a radio in the room to get them more used to noises and the human voice?

Have they got regular run time, so that being handled and picked up is becoming an integral part of something to look forward to.

PS: My Tribe who is roaming my living room during the day, can still make a dash if a stranger comes in or if they get frightened by a sudden noise or movement. You need to have just one piggy panicking, and the whole group will react instinctively. Most of them will still make a dash when it comes to pick up.

I think that's a good point. Our boys live in the living room where, obviously, we spend a lot of our time. They got used to us, the TV and us going in and out of the kitchen very quickly. Now Caramel will still run away a bit if you try to pick him up but that's his nature. Neither of them are actually scared of us though.

I think, because piggies are naturally timid - let's not forget, their built in response to anything new is to be terrified - it's all a matter of time and habit. I would suggest the radio or a TV or even better, getting them into a place where you spend more time. That way, if you're tired after work etc. you don't have to actually go and spend hours and hours with them, they know you're there and you're not going to eat them! :)

Mine are in a specific room, I call it the guinemporium :p I get quiet lonely, but my other half needs space and time on his own, so when he does that.. I spend time with my guineas. i'm not worried about them at the moment,because they've lived in five different homes in a year of their poor little lives. i don't expect them to be a hundered percent sure of me all the time but I do think the more time I spend with them the more they will come to realise I am not a threat.

Like the others have said guinea pigs are naturally quite timid animals.
My Reggie is still abit timid too, I keep his cage in the room that i spend most of my time in so I am always there and around etc.
I talk to him at his level (bend down and look at him directly and talk softly). He comes out and lets me tickle him or stroke him.
The only time I seem to scare him is if i suddenly walk in the room, he jumps out his skin.
I would just suggest to keep talking to them softly and letting them know you are not a threat or going to hurt them. Also make slow hand movements when you are going to pick them up etc.
x

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back