• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

3 Guinea Pigs Together?

Elsieboo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

This is my first person so thank you for having me. I have 3 daughters and after a lot of consideration we are very close to saying yes to guinea pigs! I had originally planned to get 2 guinea pigs but I know all 3 girls will want to technically have their own and pick and their own names. We will get a big enough cage to accommodate them and from looking online it advises 3 girls get on better than boys but is 3 ok together?

Thank you
Tania

Welcome to the Forum.
:wel:
It is always lovely to meet someone who is doing their research in advance.

Three girls together is ok, as long as you make sue they have a big enough cage.
One neutered boy (but they can be very hard to get hold of) and 2 girls would also work.
Three boys rarely works in the long term.

If you can update your prole to let us know roughly where you are located, we can give more specific advice about a good place to find your ideal guinea pigs.

Trios can end up with a pair and one who gets left out but I have three girls and they all get on really well and whilst there's a very definite pecking order, no one is left out and no one gets upset if another gets fed first etc

Hi there Tania

A warm welcome to the forum @Elsieboo

It's only natural that your girls will want a piggy each, and it's sensible to stop any squabbling. Definitely 3 girls will work but not boys. Lots of space though for 3. If you can adopt rather than shop, you will know that you are getting all girls, all too often we hear of people joining the forum and end up with pregnant piggies from shop bought.

What I would say is that their lifeline is often longer than people realise and long after when children' attention has wained considerably and it's the parents left looking after them, it then becomes a chore. I've seen it time after time, it doesn't mean it will happen in your household. I became a piggy mum when my bosses kids got bored and the wife bought a dog, I knew absolutely nothing and I had a steep learning curve - they came home to me and I fell in love with them. I've expanded since. I know how much they cost me a year, per head, plus emergency vet bills (today was £77 unexpected).

They are great pets, as long as you've done your research, they aren't difficult pets at all, but they aren't hamsters and require a lot more care and attention - after all they are actually exotic animals.

On the plus side, you learn about their odd little ways.
IMG_0169.JPG
This is Anthea having a chill out.

Thank you ever so much, we have been the resident guinea pig looker after for friends and family but do still have more research to do and won't go into it without being sure. I am trying to find adopted or somewhere to get them from that isn't a shop but it's not easy.

Thank you xx

Hi

This is my first person so thank you for having me. I have 3 daughters and after a lot of consideration we are very close to saying yes to guinea pigs! I had originally planned to get 2 guinea pigs but I know all 3 girls will want to technically have their own and pick and their own names. We will get a big enough cage to accommodate them and from looking online it advises 3 girls get on better than boys but is 3 ok together?

Thank you
Tania

Hi and welcome

Good that you are doing your research beforehand.

Three boars, unless you are lucky to find an already stably bonded adult trio, are very much a recipe for trouble. Around 90% of all baby boar trios require separation before they reach a hormonally more settled adulthood.
If you can, please consider either three sows or a neutered boar and two sows combo, but please be aware that trios are the single most difficult constellation to get right without ending up with an outsider problem of some sort.
Ideally you stick to a couple or go for four guinea pigs, whether that is two boar pairs, or a group of 3-4 sows with or without a neutered boar. With four guinea pigs you get small group dynamics, so the risk of outsider issues decreases.
Boars, sows or mixed pairs; babies or adults?
Children And Guinea Pigs - A Guide For Parents

If you can, please get your guinea pigs from one of our recommended rescues. They have a mandatory quarantine/vet care for all incoming piggies, a mandatory pregnancy watch for all incoming sows and rehome only healthy, guaranteed not pregnant and stably bonded piggies. The guinea pigs they rehome to new owners have had opportunity to get used to human interaction and handling, which is a lot more than you get from shops or breeders!
Many rescues also neuter single boars. The rescues can also bond the piggies for you and look for character compatibility and acceptance, and not just looks. Guinea pigs are every bit as social as humans and every bit as tricky to match as humans! In effect, by going rescue you are not just doing a good deed, but you are also neatly avoiding all the usual pitfalls that await the unwary. As things stand, a good rescue is by far the safest place to get guinea pigs from and not run the risk of nasty surprises.
Please be aware that anybody can all themselves a rescue or a breeder without any licensing or supervision, and the results can be accordingly. This is why we have lists for recommended rescues we can guarantee for that you are in safe and experienced hands. It is really worth the extra effort.
Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator

Thank you ever so much, we have been the resident guinea pig looker after for friends and family but do still have more research to do and won't go into it without being sure. I am trying to find adopted or somewhere to get them from that isn't a shop but it's not easy.

Thank you xx

Could you please add your country, state/province or UK county so we can help you with recommendations if possible?
We have got members from all the world. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. this makes it appear with every post you make and allows us to tailor any advice to what is available, doable and relevant where you are straight away, including tips from members in your area, so there are any.

We have got an information bundle for wannabe owners and one for new owners, which you may find helpful:
Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners
New Owners' Online Starter " Booklet" For Really Helpful Advice

Thank you again everyone, I was just reading through all the information posted here. I have updated my location - I am in Essex, southend on sea.

X

Thank you again everyone, I was just reading through all the information posted here. I have updated my location - I am in Essex, southend on sea.

X

Can you get to Anim-mates in Ash on the far side of the Thames?
Home

Thank you everybody, I've been reading through all the links and going to order the girls some books to read so they can help to look after them and understand their needs.

Look forward to being a member of this forum xx

Hello Tania, welcome to the forum :) hope you enjoy your time here, any piggy questions please just ask.

Lee

I think we are going to go for 2 and they will be shared piggies between the 3 girls - maybe with a double barrelled name for 1 of them! Trying to find 3 is proving almost impossible and might be a bit much to start with. Is the choice between boys or girls simply a choice or do they have different personalities from experience?

Tania xx

I think we are going to go for 2 and they will be shared piggies between the 3 girls - maybe with a double barrelled name for 1 of them! Trying to find 3 is proving almost impossible and might be a bit much to start with. Is the choice between boys or girls simply a choice or do they have different personalities from experience?

Tania xx

Great choice!

It also depends what space you're looking for, minimum for 2 girls is 2 ft x 4 ft whereas for 2 boys it would be 2 ft x 5 ft minimum, but obviously bigger it better.

Sows are best if you look to add more pigs in the future, so it's worth considering whether you may want to add more to the group at a later date. You cannot do this with boars.

It does depend on character too, my new(ish) boar has so SO much character so I can't fault them. They're lovely no mater the gender :)

Wellcome on board Tania! :wel: :D
You'll find everything you need yo know here and more :) Enjoy having a peek through the thread and feel free to ask any questions :nod:

Thanks for the into @Rochester Piggy :lol!:
I'm not that silly am I? :whistle: I'm a good boy really, honest! :inn: :))

Wellcome on board Tania! :wel: :D
You'll find everything you need yo know here and more :) Enjoy having a peek through the thread and feel free to ask any questions :nod:

Thanks for the into @Rochester Piggy :lol!:
I'm not that silly am I? :whistle: I'm a good boy really, honest! :inn: :))
Oh really? I've seen your Naughty Corner posts Timmy boy!

Reactions: Tim
Back