• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

3 guinea pigs

JCEcavvy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello
I am still in the thinking stage of getting some guinea pigs for my 3 daughters as they love them.

I’d it possible to have three Guinea pigs that all bond or is this going to be a very difficult task? I will get a big cage obviously. I assume 3 female guinea would be best?

Where would be best to get them? We have a pets at home near us but I know it’s hit and miss with them.

A successful bond comes down to character compatibility and I am afraid if you buy pet shop piggies then there is no guarantee of a successful bond between any of them - most will be fine but you would need to prepare for it not to be.

The best place is to get piggies from a rescue centre. They will be healthy, correctly sexed, not pregnant and properly bonded. Trios of piggies can mean an outsider situation can occur, so it is even more important that you ensure a good bond between all three. I am afraid you can’t guarantee any of these things with pet shop/breeder piggies.
If you want three, then yes they will have to be female as you cannot keep three males together (they fight if kept in more than a pair).

The cage for three piggies needs to measure 180cm x 60cm. Cage Size Guide

This is our rescue locator which will help you find rescue centres near you Rescue Locator

The guides below contain a lot of helpful information for wannabe owners. Do give them a read

Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners

New Owners' Most Helpful How-To Guides and Information

Most centres will likely have bonded pairs. Adding a third can work, sometimes it doesn’t, so you would have to see what the rescue centre had in the way of bonded trios or pairs who would accept a third.

You may find a bonded trio in the form of two sows and a neutered boar, of a neutered boar/sow pair who could have another sow bonded with them.

All you can do is get yourself on the centres waiting lists and see what they say!

Thank you. Will try that but I would ideally like outdoor piggies as we have a cat: I’ve been looking at rescue sites and I have seen a lot that have stated indoor only. But will keep looking😊

Thank you. Will try that but I would ideally like outdoor piggies as we have a cat: I’ve been looking at rescue sites and I have seen a lot that have stated indoor only. But will keep looking😊

Yes rescues will often state indoors. However if you have a shed or garage they can be put in winter, then you may find a centre that is willing to work with you if you can show.

Keeping piggies outdoors year round is doable but takes a bit more work to keep them warm in winter and cool enough in summer. Mine live year round in my shed.

Back