• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

4 To 5 Hour Trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarnivalPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So in a few months, more or less, my family and I will be going on a trip to somewhere in the countryside, and I'm wondering if I should take the three little piggies. It should be a four to five hour trip there and back, and they would have fresh veggies, hay and water. They would either be in a commercial cage with a C&C attached, or in a 2x4, something around that. Both would have roofs attached. We should be there for a week or fortnight. We don't know where we are going to stay (though it will definitely be in a cottage where all is quiet) and they will be inside, and in the room I'm going to be sleeping in. There is a boarding place, but I honestly would rather bring them with me. I will also be taking a first aid kit and will see where the closest vet is when we know where we will be staying. I will be bringing lots of warm things and a couple of Snuggle Safe.

Also, does anyone know a good carrier for three guineapigs?

I use a cat carrier from P@H for my two pigs, maybe you can get extra large one that you could put all three in? I don't think the one I use would be big enough for three pigs.

You sound very well-prepared. I've travelled with my pigs quite a lot, definitely done about 4 hours before in a mixture of train and car and they travel very well. If it's the first time though they may be a bit skittish and may argue a bit in the carrier or at least that's what mine did the first couple of times but now they actually love their carrier they hop straight into it when I put it down in the cage!

You can probably get syringe from your vet, give them a ring and ask :)

Is it the grean and white plastic one with they grey clips? I had used the one before for them when they were small, but I don't think it would go well now. :D I'll look for some.

Thank you. When I get the carrier, I'm going to go on a car ride with them to see what happens. They've been on car rides before, but only once or twice for a very short time though.

I'll do that. ^^

Is it the grean and white plastic one with they grey clips? I had used the one before for them when they were small, but I don't think it would go well now. :D I'll look for some.

Thank you. When I get the carrier, I'm going to go on a car ride with them to see what happens. They've been on car rides before, but only once or twice for a very short time though.

I'll do that. ^^
I have more unopened syringes than you can shake a stick at I can post some to you if you wanted x

That would be lovely! It's 12am where I am and everyone is asleep so I can't do it right now. Is there a certain price you'd like for them? I'm more than willing to pay for shipping or anything. ^_^

That would be lovely! It's 12am where I am and everyone is asleep so I can't do it right now. Is there a certain price you'd like for them? I'm more than willing to pay for shipping or anything. ^_^
No I don't want any money don't be silly if u pm your address I'll post in the morning x

Yes it is that green one with clips, haha. It's ok for my two but I thought as you said it would be too small for three. There might be bigger ones though for example dog carriers?

I regularly take my piggies to my parents 4 hrs away; they're fine. I suggest that you give them watery veg to eat and replenish it part way through the journey. Mine tend to stay in their hidey rather than come out to drink, but if it's cucumber, they'll come out and take it back to eat.

We've taken two sows on permanent meds with us for a week's holiday at the far end of Wales; it was a 6 hour journey each way with a coffee break at halfway.

Fresh grass or watery veg will do the trick re. hydration. Please do not feed any grass that could be contaminated by dog pee.

You can find them online but in an emergency, you can get one from your local pharmacy or vet.

Thanks. ^^ babydoll amazingly offered some and I think she has mailed them off now.

Also, my dad will be the one driving, and he is used to traveling far without stops, so right now I'm unaware of there will be any stops. Will it be okay if I hand them some cucumber when the car is on or stopping at traffic lights? Is hay okay to put in for all the time?

You may find the tips in the guide helpful: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/travelling-with-guinea-pigs.109071/

Can I please point out that your piggies won't feel any dehydration if they get a nice meal with some fresh veg or grass (but not too many juicy veg that they could cause soft poos) shortly before you set out. If it is your first journey, then it is very likely that your piggies won't eat during the trip. As piggies don't eat and drink constantly during the day, they are not going short and won't be in any danger whatsoever! Please don't fuss too much over them as your anxiety is likely to transmit and rather let them sleep it off as much as possible. it is much more convenient to feed juicy veg than to stress your piggies out further by trying to syringe when it is not necessary.
Please have a bit of hay in, but not so much that they can overheat.

Thanks. If it was just a few days I would've left them with a good boarding nearby, but we will be there to up to a fortnight. Is it worth the stress of new surroundings?

Thanks. If it was just a few days I would've left them with a good boarding nearby, but we will be there to up to a fortnight. Is it worth the stress of new surroundings?

Yes, it will be worth it especially if you are worried about them. The boarding place is new surroundings, too.
As with all things, practice makes the master - the more often your piggies travel or go to a boarding place, the more relaxed they become over it. the first time is always the most difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back