• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

5 x 3 C&C Fleece cage liner advise please!

hot fox

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Heeeello! I have two pairs of pigglies, both in a 5 x 3 C&C enclosure. I currently use fleece with washable human inco pads or microfibre towels underneath and boost with sections of furry fleece in hay areas. It's my birthday soon, and I've been considering buying 4 x custom made 5x3 fleece cage liners, 2 in use and 2 spares for when they're being cleaned. I've done loads of research, some that big seem too large to squidge in a washing machine. I use large zipped material bags to post the fleece stuff inside currently.
I'm happy to splurge the £200+ necessary to fund 4 x liners, can anyone let me know if it's safer to order 2 to cover that size eg a 2x3 and a 3x3 to wash separately? The thickness of different liners available is confusing me, and I need to be able to squash it in the machine! Any pointers/advice v gratefully received! Thank you! 😁
Photo has no purpose other than to show off! That's Willow-Bee! 🥰

Attachments

• 20200706_211529.jpg
    20200706_211529.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 3
I would get two liners rather than one big one. I think there are a few people on here who do that actually.

I would order the 4 of 3x3 so you have over lap and less likely to have poops end up where they shouldn't. It would also be easier on the washing machine too

I agree with the above.
Unless you have a huge washing machine you will struggle to wash and get such big liners clean properly. I actually like having several cage liners because it also lets me do a partial cage clean if needed.

I have a 5x3 cage and make my own liners to the size I want. After years of experimentation I now use 2 x 2x3 and 1 x 1x3, the smaller piece is in the area they sit the most and gets changed twice as often as the rest of the cage.

Yes, two of my guineas live in a 4x3 and I use two 2x3 liners. I've already managed to break one washing machine by overloading it through stuffing two 2x4 liners into it, so from experience, I'd definitely recommend two small ones instead of one big one!

Also, my new washing machine can take up to 9kg and it copes fine with one 2x4 liner in it, perhaps a bit more. I'd advise checking how big a load yours can take; fleece liners get very heavy when wet.

I have 2 5x3 fleece liners, they fit ok in my 8kg washing machine but I wonder if as @Swissgreys says they don't get as clean as if they weren't squeezed in so tight. I had to have the spindle on my machine replaced recently also, which may have been due to the heavy and uneven load wearing it. Now I would go for 2 or more smaller liners.

I have a 3x4 c&c cage and 4 2x3 liners so I can have 2 in the cage and 2 in the wash. I'd definitely recommend having multiple smaller liners

Agree with all the above, our washing machine struggled a lot with a big thick custom made 5x2 fleece filled with so much zorb it didnt need an absorbant layer underneath... so now I only use 3x2 fleeces with 3x2 Inconti-pet washable puppy mats under the high traffic areas, much easier to brush and wash and also much easier to just do a part change in a very big cage, when somepig breaks to waterbottle or does a giant wee!

in my 8 * 2 section of cage, i use 2 custom fleeces each 2*4 and they do both go into the machine at the same time in a large pet bag, however, it is a bit of a struggle to get them into the machine and back out again without considerable push/pull. once in, they do tend to wash fine. i also recommend smaller fleece pads for high traffic areas so that you can keep the main fleeces relatively dry and clean until you do a full cage clean.

Back