• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

8 Sows, Do I Have Too Many?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliviaRose285

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey , I originally had 2 for the past 4 years who were very easy to look after,now due a very sad death and rescues with not my fault pregnancies I have 8 sows.
I enjoy them all so much, especially 3 new 4 weeks olds which i made sure are girls
This is their current set up (now not divided and have waters attached (took this pic just after a clean out)
15555461_1216056451775234_1392994701_o.jpg

But when i go back to uni, they will have less inside room (2/3) but will have rotations of an outside run for 2-3sows to go in.

I love them all a lot, half like people and they get fleece and veggies and pellets and fun things and I'm worried that if i give two away they will just be put outside and maybe forgotten about.

I've just been thinking these past few days if I'm doing the right thing for them with the space.
I have a 2 layered cage like: Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 23.22.31.png which can go in the cage for more room but i don't want it to take up floor room.

Any advice / help would be much appreciated :)

Your current set up does offer a good amount of space, but when you say it will be cut by 1/3 when you go back to Uni that means it will be a 4 x 2?
If so there is no way this will be big enough for 8 guinea pigs.
To be honest I would say that the current set up is probably about the minimum you would need for a group that large.
So if going back to Uni means they will have much less space, you need to consider what is really best for your guinea pigs as you obviously care deeply for them.
One possible solution would be to have stacked C&C cages, and split the group into two, over 2 different levels. Would it be possible to have 2 cages that are 5 x 2?
Another possibility would be to look into re homing a few of the babies via a good local rescue.
If you give the babies to a rescue at least you will know they are going to a good home which has been checked as well as full follow up support.
Good luck with sorting things out.

Thanks for your reply I agree with everything you said and to be fair. Also I have looked at others on the forum making levels and i might give it a try. i didn't think of putting them in a gp rescue as i've read there are already a lot looking for homes and i wouldn't want to add to their stress but if they can find great homes i agree :) , i've found a picture from a month ago, this is my uni bedroom and since i have added another square/1.5 to lengthen it past the radiator if that makes sense? how many would you think this fits with enough room, like not so they aren't having fun if that makes sense :/
15293236_1200769553303924_1621964802_o.jpg
( the scissors were obviously taken right out, I realise how ridiculous it looks, it seems like I spend my life cutting fleece :) i just always take pictures right after i clean with no poops )

It looks like the cage in that photo is around 2x7 grids if I'm counting right. Sadly that isn't big enough for 8 piggies in the long term. Could you widen it right up to that side of your bed?

Yeah tbf i could for them and make it a 20-21 square space?and an outside run. i know i have a few too many since a sow came pregnant and i'm stressed :')

If you can extend the rest of the cage to your bed then it would be enough space for them as well as out of cage exercise.

ok thanks very much for the help, I'm going back this week so i'll try and make the cage much more suitable:)

hi, thanks for all your replies, i've been back at uni for a while and seemingly changing the cage every week with stacked areas and almost giving 3 away, I've recently moved my bed so all 8 sows are in a 4 by 5, c&c cage is this enough room permanently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back